Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.
  1. Guest
    Friendly note from GFK. Please review this beginner guide for your fish.

Ranchu Newbie

Discussion in 'All Questions from Newbies' started by Art of Goldfish, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Art of Goldfish

Art of Goldfish Member

Okay, so forgive me if I sound naive, but I have a Ranchu arriving from Dandy Orandas in about a week and is there anything special about caring for Ranchu goldfish, or is it pretty much the same as ryukins and fantails? And also, any tips on best caring for a newly shipped fish?

Lukass likes this.
  2. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

Really the same. Just make sure you have a decent size and well seasoned and cycled not too deep tank/filter ready for the fish so the fish will live in an ammonia free and nitrite free environment. Feed sparingly and do partial water changes and your fish will live for a long time. Good luck.

There is an old Chinese saying (about goldfish keeping) and it goes something like: 养鱼先养水 (meaning if you want to keep fish successfully, you need to get good water ready first and then have good water constantly available for the fish).

Too often on this forum (which I have not been very long but I have been keeping a lot of fish for a long time), people get fish (cheap or expensive) too soon. There tank/filter (meaning water in the Chinese saying) is not good enough or ready yet and then their fish have all kinds of fish health problem. Then they use whatever medicine on the earth they can find and eventually the fish die (or were they killed?).

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
    Joshua's golds likes this.
  3. MikeM

MikeM Active Member

Everything Joe said, but I would also have aquarium salt on hand. As a maintenance tool, it can keep you from many potential problems.

4. Art of Goldfish

Art of Goldfish Member

I've got aquarium salt from keeping my ryukin and fantails so I'm good with that, and I completely agree, it's soooo useful. I've been cycling my tank for about four weeks, the fish is supposed to come in a little more than a week. Been keeping the water quality good and doing changes. And so far everything is testing very well. Thanks, and I really like that quote, it's very true!

5. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Even though, Ken does an excellent job with his fish and shipping I would still quarantine if you can. If you plan on keeping the ranchu with ryukins and fantails make sure they are not too aggressive with the ranchu I highly recommend that you feed the ranchu the same thing he was eating at Dandy Orandas; Repashy Soilent Green Food. That would be the main choice of food for all of my fish

6. Art of Goldfish

Art of Goldfish Member

Oh, I was wondering about that. Do you keep ranchu with other species ever? My male matte fantail seems to be my most aggressive fish, so I wouldn't put him in the same tank as my ranchu. Thanks for the tips! I do have a twenty gallon quarantine tank for the ranchu waiting, so I wasn't going to combine them right away and, based on your advice, may choose not to at all, and that brings me to the question of what is the best way to introduce other fish to each other?