Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Repashy Super Green or Soilent Green?

Discussion in 'Goldfish Food' started by Silverphish, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Silverphish

Silverphish Active Member

I have never used a gel food before, but one of my fantails seems to have a swim bladder problem and gets floaty after eating the sinking pellets (new life spectrum), and these gel diets seem to be highly recommended. I just have a few questions.

1. Which do you use for 1 year old fantails (they are about 1/2 to 1 inch long including tail)? The Soilent Green has Crude Protein min. 45%, Crude Fat min. 6%, Crude Fat max. 8%, Crude Fiber max. 8%. and the super green has Crude Protein min. 35%, Crude Fat min. 8%, Crude Fiber max. 8%. So is more or less protein good for older fish?

2. How hard is it to feed? The directions are pretty clear that it sets up like jello, but does it start to dissolve in the water immediately or break apart and make a mess (I tried daily spinach and veggies but it made a huge mess - and the floaty one won't touch peas)

3. When feeding is it still soft enough that they can pull chunks off the cube to eat, or do I need to chop it into bite sized bits?

2. GfFan

GfFan Active Member

I have not tried Super Green yet so I am curious about this as well.

Soilent Green, however, is great. The directions say to mix one part Soilent Green to 2-3 parts water, so I have always kept it at two parts and never have any of the problems I have read about it fouling or clouding the water. I have tried cutting into bigger chunks as well as bite sized chunks, and personally I think the smaller you cut it (relative to the fish) the better. They are able to get bits off of a larger chunk but it takes some wrestling with it at first. If I go with smaller pieces then there is less competition between them for an individual piece. Everyone is quickly able to grab a bit and start happily chewing it up.

DCSteve likes this.
  3. Silverphish

Thank you so much. I just want to do the best for my bloaty fish. She is always able to stay upright, but has a lot of trouble getting to the bottom to eat the sinking pellets on some days. The omega algae sheets are the only thing she eats that does not seem to effect her buoyancy. I'm hoping the gel food will do the trick.

4. GfFan

GfFan Active Member

I hope that helps too. Good luck.

5. maileen22092

maileen22092 Maileen

It seems that this keeper has been helped already, but to anyone who might be reading this later on: the difference between solient green and super green is like the difference between a salad with chicken and a salad with no animal products what so ever.

Super Green is an algae based formulation for herbivores, so like, a vegan diet

Solient Green is Super Green with animal - or what Repashy calls- "small living organism" products added to it

If you are looking to feed as a staple diet, Solient is the way to go since Goldfish are omnivores.

If you just want to have something on hand when issues of floating occur then it is my honest opinion that either formulation will do.

I believe the trick to these gel foods working to help clear out the gut is not only the high quality of ingredients but the fact that time needed by the digestive system to breakdown plant matter is much longer than time needed to break down animal proteins so since both formulations are plant based both would work just fine when used to treat floating issues.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

6. Silverphish

Thanks for the clarification. I did get the soilent green and they all love it! No one has any buoyancy issues at All as long as they only get the gel food. They have all gained between .5 and 1 gram on it too.

DCSteve likes this.
  7. chocky

chocky Well-Known Member

I just wanted to post in here,

Repashy will have soilent green available in Australia hopefully end of the year. I asked them on their australian Facebook page. :)

Lukass and DCSteve like this.
  8. CC11

CC11 Active Member

I got told today that soilent green is going to take a long time if ever to be approved in Australia. Super Green and morning wood are approved. The suggestion is to mix bug pie with super green. Thought I would look into that.

9. joe

joe Well-Known Member

I use soilent green almost exclusively at this time with occasional Saki Hikari Purple, really love the repashy products

10. CC11

CC11 Active Member

I would use that but not available in my country. Thinking of making some gel food instead. The fat content was 9% if I mixed the 2.

11. Faebinder

Faebinder Well-Known Member

mixing two may do the trick. I mix bottom scratcher with soilent green personally.

Another option is taking super green, powder some good quality pellets like omega one and then mixing it with the powder before making the gel.

12. Silverphish

I know that this is a very old post, but since it seems that people are still reading it, I thought I'd update what I'm feeding. Unfortunately the SBD slowly returned after about two months on the soilent green, and continued getting worse as the fish grew (so it was probably genetic / developmental that had originally be enhanced by the poor pellet diet)... anyway, here is my diet and it has been working great!

Base is repashy soilent green - they get this two out of the three meals a day
    The third meal is either:
    1. super green with red rum added
    2. Blanched broccoli (never expected them to LOVE this - they spend the rest of the day seeing any tiny floret that they missed)
    3. Blanched Romain, kale, or baby spinach (not as popular as the broccoli)
    4. green algae sheet

Days they get fresh greens / algae I have to do a quick vacuum as they are very messy, and I have to rinse my filters twice a month because of this too.

Snacks -haven't tried it as of yet, but thinking of adding a weekly or every other week insect or aquatic invertebrate snack if I can find out which one pose the least risk of parasites
    - I also don't use fruit, I'm assume they can't process the sugar as that is not something found in an aquatic environment
    - none of mine will eat carrot, squash, or zucchini, and only one is interested in peas.

13. CC11

CC11 Active Member

Thanks there is a bug pie in repashy and thanks for the update.

Silverphish likes this.