Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.
  1. Guest
    Friendly note from GFK. Please review this beginner guide for your fish.

Road Trip!

Discussion in 'All Questions from Newbies' started by kat.filf, Nov 11, 2017.

1. kat.filf

kat.filf Active Member

Question: How do you guys travel with fish?

Details: I'm going to be traveling from Nov. 22nd to Nov.27th from Indiana(Bloomington) to Colorado(Denver) and it is at least a 15 hour drive, but we will have lots of stops so its expected to be a lot longer!
    I should be in Colorado by the 23rd and start leaving on the 26th. We're going to be doing lots of things but I'll make sure I have time for what I need to do to possibly over night ship fish or prepare them for coming along for the road trip.
    I may not even buy any fish on my trip but I saw there was like 5 aquatic stores in the Denver area and I want to know from people who might do traveling to koi and goldfish shows with fish and how they go about it!
    I may or may not buy snails/plants/tropical fish/goldfish so any kind of information I may need to know about travel with these things would be nice! If there is no safe way to go about it, I can restrain myself from buying another lumpy faced baby. </3

2. kat.filf

kat.filf Active Member

Bump! Really wanting some responses at least?

3. calicomj

calicomj Well-Known Member

I've only traveled an hour with two fish. Unfortunately I can't answer you. BUT... The lady who bagged my fish when I bought it at the show said that it could stay in the bag 48 hours and it would be fine. Some fish that are shipped stay in bags that long or longer and are fine. The key is to bag them properly. 1/3 water and 2/3 pure oxygen in a fairly large sized bag after fasting them probably 4-5 days is what I was told. They should make the trip just fine in that.

4. Hunter

Hunter Active Member

kat.filf likes this.
  5. kat.filf

kat.filf Active Member

@calicomj I worry about bags, but I guess it would be like over night shipping, except in my car and care the whole time. If I but them day 1, then I'd have time to fast them as well.
    @Hunter I have one that I use in the case of power outages as well. I have a plastic tub or I can buy one specifically for this trip.
    Both seem like good ideas

6. orangecrush

orangecrush Well-Known Member

I don't understand, are you traveling with your own fish or are you planning on going on a week long fish buying tour?

Jim.

7. kat.filf

kat.filf Active Member

@orangecrush I have a roadtrip and I may come home with fish, if I buy any.

8. orangecrush

Why don't you buy the fish and make the arrangements to have the fish shipped to you after you get home.

Good luck, Jim.

9. kat.filf

kat.filf Active Member

@orangecrush I don't know if those store I'm going to will do that, if need be I can ship it over night to myself and my brother will be home to acclimate fish for me

And I was just asking if there was a good way to move them myself? Over night shipping and bringing them with me on the trip back would be similar to the fish(in a back for 24 hours; if I bag it), I just wanted ideas of how to go about it.

orangecrush likes this.
  10. orangecrush

Or buy them and pick them up on the way home.

Jim.

magdela and kat.filf like this.
  11. kat.filf

kat.filf Active Member

You know what, that's a good idea too if they'll store them until I leave and then I can "ship" them home with me

12. orangecrush

Don't do any fish shopping until you are on your way back home so that the fish will be in transit the least amount of time.

Good luck and happy travels, Jim.

13. afnaveils

afnaveils Goldfish breeder

I drove 15 hours, fish bagged 1/3 water, 2/3 oxygen without fasting, no problem.

kat.filf likes this.
  14. kat.filf

kat.filf Active Member

@afnaveils do you mean like 2/3 air or do I have to put like pure oxygen in there? I'm still juggling the bag/tote with bubbler ideas. I'm more or less leaning towards bagging it like shipping.

15. calicomj

calicomj Well-Known Member

It needs to be pure oxygen. Not just air.

16. kat.filf

kat.filf Active Member

Wait @calicomj & @afnaveils how do I go about buying pure oxygen to pump their bags full of or should I just stick with the battery charged air pump I already have and a tote/bucket?

17. afnaveils

afnaveils Goldfish breeder

Just ask the seller to bag the fish as mentioned!
    What you can also do: bring tote and bubbler and/or extra bags and matured water or dechlorinator. We are talking about 20 hours tops while bagged fish can survive 48 hours or more.
    Just use rest areas to check on them or just leave them alone in a closed box.

kat.filf likes this.
  18. Zach

Zach Member

Sorry I did not read all the post as the wife is rushing me out the door. But i traveled from Vancouver island to the east prairies ( with two small children) so many stops were made, trip took 3 days with a uhaul. I used 2x 21 gallon plastic trash style cans with lid. Took the first container and attached it to a 1/2" board and strappd the handles to the corners of the board. And put the second container inside this one so it would be secure with out being damaged or altered. Filled up half way to allow for some splashing, one small airline hole in the lid for the battery powered pump. I loaded up 4x 5gallon buckets for on the road water changes at hotels ( water from original start of move to not shock fish on transport)
    Might be crazy overkill but I really like these goldies and had the containers already for water change pre mix.
    wally-world 10-15$

kat.filf likes this.
  19. El Djago

El Djago Active Member

i did this and put the bag in a styro box, minimal if not avoided bruising/damage to the fish.. little to no splashes of water to your car, no bursting of plastic bag. just make sure it is upright. trans.jpg

kat.filf likes this.
  20. El Djago

El Djago Active Member

bring extra batteries.. oh i forgot the fish.. pardon the drawing lol

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 1:58 PM
    kat.filf likes this.