Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

sharing my oranda grow out

Discussion in 'New Members' Area' started by El Djago, May 16, 2017.

1. El Djago

El Djago Active Member

2. Breann Thurman

Breann Thurman Well-Known Member

Such fast growth! I have a itty bitty fantail I have been trying to grow out. He was a rescue from petco and was maybe a inch in total length. Now hes about 3 inches including tail. Hes slowly filling out as well.

3. El Djago

El Djago Active Member

fast growth comes with a catch, as in my case, developed not to best form, belly too big, caudal fins not developed (considering the parents are of very broad tailed), thin peduncle, all due to my set up - not much space to swim.. now it has gone heads down and undergoing white poop treatment..

you can see difference if fish is moved to better environment, it will definitely thrive.. some are horrified to see overstocked tanks at petshops, sick fishes untreated, i understand and know how difficult it is to maintain a petshop.. first thing fish needs is space - fish shops doesn't have this, treating a sick fish needs resources, time, effort.. some just send them back to the fish supplier..

4. Breann Thurman

Breann Thurman Well-Known Member

yeah I usually find the ones that come from big game pet store grow alot slower. I also have a fish that I raised myself that took off in growth. I tend to keep my goldies in cooler water so i know that also contributes to it as well. I have a pretty solid water change schedule and the tank I have my little fantail in is overstocked by one fish ( That fish will be my boyfriends fish here soon) So I change water on that tank like a maniac

El Djago likes this.
  5. El Djago

El Djago Active Member

6. El Djago

El Djago Active Member

not much growth in the community tank for 3 months.. took it out for grooming with a different pellet. here's the result in a week..

aug28-sep6.jpg

7. calicomj

calicomj Well-Known Member

Gosh the fish grow so much better over there than here. I love his body shape. Seeing that shape here is so rare. I wish I could have one like that.

8. El Djago

El Djago Active Member

we're at the tropics, guess that it is one factor, we can pump feed all year round..
    fish is locally bred but of thai parents (nk farm thailand).. importation from thailand has gone up from previous years..

have you tried heater for your tanks? but it's way too expensive for growing.. or indoor..

9. calicomj

Oh I'm happy with the growth of my fish. I'm aware that Thai fish are just much bigger and that the area you live in is better for their growth. I don't keep mine in tanks. I was just admiring your fish.

El Djago likes this.
  10. El Djago

El Djago Active Member

sorry i presumed you had problems growing your fishes.. my apologies.. glad they are fine, definitely you're doing a good job..

11. El Djago

El Djago Active Member

back to the community tank, after a week of trying out a new pellet..

20170909_084744_Burst05.jpg

Attached Files:

12. El Djago

El Djago Active Member

trying the new food with this one also for a week or two..

20170909_074633_Burst21.jpg 20170909_074518_Burst12.jpg

SantaMonicaHelp likes this.
  13. SantaMonicaHelp

SantaMonicaHelp Active Member

Wow! It's really beautiful! :)

-Paola

El Djago likes this.
  14. Hunter

Hunter Active Member

Is it crossed with ryukin that you know of? the body shape seems fairly similar, or maybe I'm just thinking's all the fat bellied goldies have ryukin in em

El Djago likes this.
  15. joe

joe Well-Known Member

beautiful fish, looks like a short tailed thai oranda or ignot. Either way great job with the grooming

16. El Djago

El Djago Active Member

thanks! some experiment i had done..

17. El Djago

El Djago Active Member

that's what i thought when it grew but that is her sibling at the upper photo.. maybe it has a ryukin genes in it..

18. El Djago

El Djago Active Member

thanks! the parent is broad tailed, maybe the male parent has that inggot and ryukin genes.. bought them small juveniles and weren't cheap lol.. got to respect breeders as they cull heavily, maybe 20-30 left out of a thousand..

19. calicomj

So are you TRYING to grow them quickly? Do they swim okay? They're definitely not shaped like standard Orandas. Their wens are small for their size and they are very deep bodied. Not found here at all. They don't even truly look like Ingot to me. As the OP said, they're broad tailed, not short tailed at all.

20. El Djago

El Djago Active Member

yes trying to grow them fast then transfer to the community tank, not the best of result though as they don't have much space to swim, they practically grew in a bucket. low volume = less water to change.. they swim okay, can go up and down also lol.. can take food at the bottom or skimming for that protein at the surface.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017 at 5:16 AM