Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Sharks for my goldfish

Discussion in 'Goldfish in the Pond' started by Faebinder, Jan 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Faebinder

Faebinder Well-Known Member

Picked up a pair of hi fin banded sharks for my goldfish pond.. Anyone got them?

They're in my quarantine tank now. Sides it too cold out to toss them in the pond.

Attached Files:

2. joe

joe Well-Known Member

They are very cool. People care them year round in their ponds where I live. However these fish grow very large and will compete for the same space and food as your goldfish

3. *Ci*

*Ci* Goldie Guru

I have three in my outdoor pond, that I bought last summer. Here in the PacNW the winter water temps get down to about 40F and I had reports of the banded sharks (which are actually algae eating loaches) being kept and surviving ... so I'm giving it a try. This will be the first winter for mine.
    So far , so good! They are cute and quirky litte creatures!

How big is your pond, Feabinder? They do get big, but supposedly grow very slowly, unlike koi.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
    CaliGold likes this.
  4. Faebinder

Right now it's only 450 gallons. Plan on expanding in spring.

5. *Ci*

*Ci* Goldie Guru

What are you feeding the sharks right now? I find that they like to 'hide' by hanging onto the underside of pipes in my pond - so maybe give them a cave of some sort in your QT.

6. Faebinder

Just got them yesterday. Mmm.. I'm gonna give them a cave should be interesting.

Tossed some solient green but they didnt go after it. The new ranchu from Dandy Orandas though gobbled it.
    Tossed some frozen blood worms and the ranchu went for it.

What do you usually feed them? Read they eat algae and pretty much goldfish food.

My water in that tank is cold, cause of the basement so maybe they are not that hungry from it. I'm gonna see about alternating the heater from my hospital tank with this quarantine tank.

7. *Ci*

*Ci* Goldie Guru

When I first had them in QT I fed them algae wafers and veggie goldfish sticks from Kens Fish. In the pond all the rest of the year they only ate algae on the pond walls - the goldfish pellets never last long enough for them to share. Seems to me that they only ate at night in the Qt - in the pond they graze all day ... maybe you should move them to their own tank so they can build up some size before you move them outside, without having to compete with the goldfish for food ...

They like cool water ... mine were grazing all through the 50'sF and only now with the pond down to 45F do they seem to be dormant.

8. Faebinder

I'm surprised they didnt go for the soilent green. I'll give algae wafers a shot. I got some laying around.

My water in my basement is pretty bad temperature wise... it's cold enough in the basement for me to need a jacket. I lost my therm. I'll get one today to see if the cold is a factor. Sure aint a factor for the ranchu.... Gulp gulp gulp...

9. Faebinder

Follow-up post.

One died two weeks later in quarantine... just wasn't eating.

The other one looks good. It's eating blood worms now and algae off the quarantine tank.

I bought some Repashy bottom scratcher gel food. Should be coming soon and I'll give it a shot. It's definitely a slow slow eater....

Temperatures are still too cold to toss the fish outside. It would be unfair for their immune system.

10. *Ci*

*Ci* Goldie Guru

Thanks for the update. My three were in the pond outside and one was discovered dead by my son who was checking on the house while we were away in January. When I got home I pulled the other two and put them in a basement tank as well. I'm heating the water to 65F and feeding. Hoping to put some size on them before reintroducing them to the pond, and as much growth as possible over the year so they will do better next winter. I think they were just too small and thin this year.

I'm wondering how I can get them more food in the pond - they seem slower and shyer and the goldies eat everything before they can get to it.

11. Faebinder

I'll keep you updated about the bottom scratcher repashy food. Hope the goldies dont devour that too. That ranchu and oranda from Dandy Orandas that I have with it in the tank are merciless..... Serious eating machines.

12. Faebinder

Saw my shark today. He's not really hanging out with the goldies much. Looks bigger than when I bought it. It's all dark now, bands are cannot be seen almost. I'm gonna need to keep an eye out for it when I make the pond deeper this June and transfer the goldie team inside for a week.

13. *Ci*

*Ci* Goldie Guru

My remaining two were in a tank in the basement with two goldies that were also getting too cold in the pond. Well, one of the goldfish spawned, the ammonia shot up briefly, and another shark died! They seem to be rather frail, now I'm torn on whether to get more or not. They like to be in groups and I only have one left, but I'm not having the greatest luck with them!

14. Faebinder

Yeah one of mine did die in the winter tank after a water change.

I think you're better off placing them in the pond. More algae and more space with less ammonia spikes.

15. *Ci*

*Ci* Goldie Guru

I'm lowering the indoor temps gradually - 64F right now - and will put the last shark outside when the temps match the pond which is at 58-59F.

I'll take a picture when I catch it - would love to see a photo of yours as well.

16. Faebinder

I caught it at night so it's not clear. Wonder if they are nocturnal or it must have been hiding during these last few cold days. The picture is unclear but his eye is gleaming.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  17. Faebinder

I cleaned up the pond due to ich and anyway I need to take the fish in cause first of June we're making it deeper.. The shark showed up today. It had some ich too. I put it inside the hospital tank. Here it is. The bands are practically gone. I gotta shrink the other pictures to post them. It has grown very slightly.

Attached Files:

18. *Ci*

*Ci* Goldie Guru

Looks pretty thin - give it some higher protein food while it's in QT - could be they need more than algea when small, and can't compete with goldfish. Mine was thin, too.