Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Shipping how to

Discussion in 'Goldfish Conversation' started by nygold, Oct 19, 2010.

1. nygold

nygold Well-Known Member

Refrain from feeding your fish 2 days before you bag them for live shipping. This prevents them from soiling the shipping bag while they're in transit.

Place the fish in 1.5 to 2 milliliter plastic bags. The longer the bags the better. Put one fish in each bag, except for small fish like killifish. Label each bag with an adhesive tag.

Fill the bag with the minimum amount of water necessary. Each bag should be no more than 1/3 full of water. Pump the bag with regular air or oxygen, then twist and tie it closed. You can use a rubber band to secure the tie.

Label your box inside and out and ship immediately after packing. Ask the postal clerk when it will be delivered.

Call your customer and let them know when the live fish will arrive so they can make arrangements to receive and open the shipment immediately.

Insulate your shipping box with polystyrene thermal insulation and packing peanuts. Put Styrofoam shelves between each bag. Ship overnight or express mail in cold or inclement weather to prevent harm to the fish.

I just searched the net and found this info I'm sure some of you experienced guys can add or subtract from it.

2. Cincy Ranchu

Cincy Ranchu Professional Breeder

weight

measure the water or weigh it or it costs way too much, I also use bag buddies from Jungle

3. Corrie

Corrie professional fish sitter

double bag
    remember it's the twists that make a bag sealed, the rubberband is just to hold the twists
    Set the bags upright. Sideways will beat the crap out of a fish. ;-)
    use packing tape to seal the lid of the styro

4. afnaveils

afnaveils Goldfish breeder

I've seen second bag inverted: top of second bag to bottom of first, to trap the oxygen.

Another method is use Kordon breathable bags. They don't need oxygen inside and they are for shorter shipping time. Preferably used with ground carriers.

5. Corrie

Corrie professional fish sitter

that's just because it's easier to double bag that way. :-*

Has the added advantage of getting rid of any corners where the fish can get trapped too.

Use something like CloramX.

Make the buyers life easier, tell them ahead of time the pH, temp, salinity, etc that the fish were packed in.

If it's more than overnight, tell the buyer to have something like CloramX on hand to put in the bag the second they open it.(pH/ammonia thing)

6. nygold

nygold Well-Known Member

Did anyone ever have an issued with the oxygen while shipping fish?

The guy at the post office read me the riot-act over shipping with oxygen.
    He said something like "Due to the flamable and explosive nature of oxygen I don't know if this can be shipped by airplane bla bla bla $250,000 fine bla bla bla jail time yadda yadda"
    In his little rule book it said "No oxygen canisters" and he was unsure about oxygen in bags.
    In this case I used air from an aircompressor so they let it go.
    On another note does anyone know were to get an inexpensive regulator for a small oxygen canister?

7. small_ranchu

small_ranchu Admin Staff Member

Ebay? lol :)

8. Ichthius

Ichthius Professional Breeder

http://www.homebrewing.org/Oxynator-oxygen-regulator-and-diffusion-kit_p_1057.html

I have one of these. You can find a better price this is all I could find quickly on my phome.

You can send it to someone in a box, the oxygen is available in little red canisters at the hardware store. Don't ship the canister.

I ship fish world wide weekly. Pure oxygen in a fish bag is fine. Millions of fish are shipped all over the world with pure oxgen every day. I dint know the particular IATA rule but it's there if you need it. Just don't mention it when shipping.

If anyone ever needs small to medium shipping boxes let me know and I can ship them for the price of postage.

9. Ichthius

Ichthius Professional Breeder

If done properly it's actually to eliminate corners in the bags so that if the bag cools and deflates a bit little fish wont get pinched in the corners, killing them.

I make (well students actually do it) square bottom bags and use those as in inner bags and standard bags as the outer bag.

10. kendal

kendal Top-View Human

David, what took you so long to get here. this is your field of expertise. i would (and sure other as well) like a little if not a lot of insight from you on this point to refer back to at will—the things you taught me that i will surely muck up and embarrass myself with if i try to repeat. pH, chloramax, etc.. —the whole 9 yards.

My two cents on breather bags—scary!!!!!!!! you cannot double bag them and they are fragile enough to be punctured by a larger fish's fin rays or even crumpled paper. if/when they leak a little (often do from knot/tie) they make the packing material wet which sticks to the bag and reduces the transpiration properties for using the bag in the first place. use with caution. they are best for fry as all the air can be eliminated from the bag and this reduces the washing machine effect while shipping which could be too much for fry. i have never had a problem when using them, but feel much better with thicker bags that re doubled and oxygen filled.

11. bigbettadan

bigbettadan Professional Breeder Staff Member

I am not a big fan of breather bags. After Freds airport near disaster, I went ahead and double bagged as I always had with the few I had left. I also do the inverted method, as I have been doing it for years(Its the IBC recommended method) with literally thousands of bettas with great success. I never had to use pure Oxygen till I shipped gf, but you can buy a small bottle at Lowes...

Also, with the PO, what they dont know, wont hurt them. How is oxygen trapped in the bag via ambient air any different than pure oxgen from a bottle safety wise? LOL

Also, if you are going to ship priority mail vs Express, use the flat rate boxes...SO much cheaper. Of course they dont come in large sizes so they are only good to ship young small fish..

Dan

12. RogerP

RogerP Active Member

Whats a safe age to ship long distance?

Hi all,

Are there any concerns regarding shipping fish (ranchu specifically) of a particular young age? (BBR)

13. bigbettadan

In general smaller fish ship easier. Since you have to fast them for a few days prior to shipping, thats the biggest drawback for young growing fish...

Dan

14. East Ozeki Ranchu

East Ozeki Ranchu Breeder

OK. I am not familiar with the practicalities of shipping fish with the US.

However, the following is the guidance I encourage all of our Kai members to follow when moving fish:

Caring for your new Ranchu:

Points to remember:

· Whenever Ranchu are moved they should not be fed for 3 days before and 3 days after - this is VERY important.

In advance of setting out to buy Ranchu:

· Prepare a pond/tank with dissolved salt at a concentration of 0.5% (5g per litre).
    · Add an airstone and set the temperature, to match that of the pond that the Ranchu is coming from – check this with the breeder.

Transporting Ranchu:

· Always Transport Ranchu in Polystyrene boxes, with the fish being double bagged – NEVER use buckets – the fins of the Ranchu will be damaged by rubbing against the plastic.

When you arrive home:

· Day 1 – When you arrive home, take some time to float the bags and carefully mix water to adjust the temperature before releasing the Ranchu - don't rush this, as the fish will be stressed from the journey.
    · Day 4 - Move the Ranchu to a pond/tank of fresh water, again with dissolved salt at a concentration of 0.5% (5g per litre).
    · Day 5 - Try a little food if the Ranchu are looking for it. I suggest frozen bloodworm in only small quantities. You can feed them from today.
    · Day 7 - Move the Ranchu to a pond/tank of fresh water, with dissolved salt at a concentration of 0.25% (2.5g per litre).
    · Day 10 - Move the Ranchu to a pond/tank with no salt. You can keep them as per your other fish with regard to water changes etc from now.

Notes:
    · It is essential that the Ranchu spend no more than 3 days in each salt / water mix.
    · It is also important that the salt is dissolved before the Ranchu swim in it and that there is a good supply of air.
    · Your own quarantine procedures should also apply.

Finally:
    · If you see any problems or are worried about your new Ranchu call me!

I have followed this technique religiously when bringing Ranchu in from Japan for over 10 years now and our Kai members have used this method too as it applies when they take Ranchu to Competition.

Obviously you will need more than one pond/tank and I do not use any filtration.

But, you do not need to do this with kuroko (Black babies). In 1997 I brought a bag of Kuroko back in my hand luggage from Yokohama - you could do that in those days.....When I relased them into my ponds they had been in the bag for 48hrs and were fine.

Regards

Andrew

15. bigbettadan

I did seem to me the with the BBR the digestion rate seems faster than with older fish... I wasnt sure if my mind was playing tricks on me or not...

Dan

16. kendal

kendal Top-View Human

makes sense, the digestive tract is shorter.

it seams to take more to stress smaller fish and then they bounce back quicker. smaller bodies detox faster maybe…?

another thing to consider with BBR is how short their lives have been. 48 hours fasting and 48 hours shipping without food is 10% of a 40-day old fish's life and right in the middle of the most crucial part. they can lose a lot a weight in 4 days. BBR need to be back on the grub fast i would think. every time i have received small fish via post they show no signs of stress but are skinny. i start bloodworms after only a few hours of detox in clean water. a little the first night, and for the next week i feed them as much as i can get them to eat, and then a bit more. it takes about a week of over feeding to get weight back up from my observations.

I wonder, (question to experts to follow) what ill effects shipping may have on BBR long-term development and if over feeding after to catch up as i have done is good, bad or neutral.

17. marlin08

marlin08 Well-Known Member

I bought a small MAPP gas kit at Lowe's for about $40. It comes with some extra stuff but also an oxygen canister and regulator. After that you can buy the small oxygen tanks they sell for MAPP gas welding for refills. If you are doing large scale shipping, you definitely want something bigger but shipping a couple of boxes (2-4 bags) of small plecos weekly, it lasts me well over a month or so.

18. judge

judge Scholar of All Things

Great! The one that you bought from lowe's contains regulator as well?

19. marlin08

marlin08 Well-Known Member

Yes, that was the reason for buying the "kit", it had a regulator with it.

20. Cincy Ranchu

Cincy Ranchu Professional Breeder

Jungle

I really like shipping with Jungle Bag Buddies, they prevent ammonia and bacterial growth, for small bags I just break tehm in half:exact: