Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Shop vac/ pond vac

Discussion in 'D.I.Y' started by Mark 1959, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Mark 1959

Mark 1959 Active Member

I used my shop vac with filter media on the bottom to vacuum up acorns and debris from my pond bottom and used an extension pipe from the vac drain to return the water to the pond, then after getting all of the gunk out I do a water change. My question is, Has anyone figured out how to vac and drain simontaneously to eliminate the start, stop, drain, start.......? I tried putting a ball valve on the drain to try and balance the inflow with the outflow and it helped but didn't solve the problem. Next time I will try putting a 90 on the the drain pipe and extend it down below the pond water level to maybe keep the vac sealed on startup? Anyone tried anything that works great?

2. Virginia ranchu

Virginia ranchu Professional Breeder

I have a skimmer/falls type filter in my pond, and when I want to drain the pond, I disconnect the pump from the skimmer, and drop it into the deepest part of the pond. I bought a washing machine discharge hose, and a rubber reducer coupling, and clamped that to the pump outlet, and I pump the water out onto the lawn. I also set the pump inside a plastic strainer basket to keep large debris from clogging it up. Also, when using the pond vac, I've found that it helps to open it up and rinse out the filter sleeve on the inside. When this filter piece gets clogged, the pond vac will cycle (start, stop, drain) too fast and the progress is very slow.

3. Mark 1959

Mark 1959 Active Member

Thanks for the input, I'm not trying to drain the pond with the shop vac, just trying to get all the debris/muck out, mostly acorns. I have separate ball valves I hook a hose up to drain. I remove the shop vac filter completely and add filter material in the bottom of the shop vac to catch all the debris and keep it in the shop vac while trying to return the water to the pond thru the shop vac drain. My problem is the shop vac stops when it is full of water and I have to stop and wait for it to drain then start vacuuming again. The outflow thru the drain doesn't keep up with the inflow, I may need to increase the size of the drain and use the ball valve to balance it out. It's a project in the works to try and make it a little simpler to get that debris out.