Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Shubunkin with Dropsy. Attempting treatment

Discussion in 'Goldfish Clinic' started by Breann Thurman, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Breann Thurman

Breann Thurman Well-Known Member

So this isn't much of a I need help more so I'm attempting a treatment with a fish in the early stages of Dropsy. I'm about 80% sure this Dropsy was bacterial infection dropsy. It started when my 90 gallon tank had a big bump in cycle after I installed a new filter. Even though I transferred most of my media it still caused that bump. All the fish we're acting weird at first but I figured lots of clean water and water changes will aid in the recovery of the tank. Most fish are doing fine except my shubunkin. I noticed he had dropsy Wednesday. I quarantined him in a 12 gallon tub ( I know not ideal but it's all I got for now) with Epsom salt and have been feeding him 2 grams of medicated gel food a day. Here is him as of today. A little bit of progress but not totally out of the woods.

Attached Files:

2. Cheyenne B.

Cheyenne B. Well-Known Member

I just had a fish with this. I used Kanaplex, three rounds. Epsom salt, a good heater, and prayed. Mine was also caught early. She's completely recovered. Good luck to you! I know how hopeless you can feel with dropsy.

3. Breann Thurman

This is the first time in 5 years I have encountered Dropsy. I'm using metroplex in his rephashy super gold and at first he was like I don't wanna eat this and now he's been eating it all. And water is all cloudy because he takes his time eating the food.

4. Cheyenne B.

Cheyenne B. Well-Known Member

That's the thing that drives me crazy about the gel food, I hate cloudy water. But it goes away eventually. And don't feel bad, up until JoJo recently, I've never battled with dropsy and I've kept Goldfish 18 years. It's also not something I ever want to experience again.

5. Breann Thurman

I definitely don't like Dropsy. Luckily I'm sure this isn't organ failure. I'm expecting him to have a minor relapse. I'm putting him through 3 rounds of 3 days of metroplex gel food. Fasting him for a day or two in between.

6. Breann Thurman

Update October 8th

Galaxy had a 100% water change today, he wasnt happy about being in a bowl while I did so but he seems to enjoy his clean epsom salted water. Hes not as bloated as he was so I think the odds of him pulling through are in my favor.......for now.

7. Breann Thurman

October 12th:

Galaxy has been on meds for a whole week and has recovered quite nicely so today marks day 1 of just observing him and slowly bringing him back to normal unsalted water. I have more medication on standby if he has a relapse but hopefully I caught the dropsy early enough so that doesnt happen.

8. Nagisa

Nagisa Active Member

All the best to your little friend!
    Good to see him doing better and better! :)