Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Sick 10 year old goldfish

Discussion in 'Goldfish Clinic' started by Daniel S, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Daniel S

Daniel S New Member

Hi,

Our goldfish (nearly 10 y old) has been sick for a little while, sitting on bottom of tank, infrequent 'jerking' movement, and tail appears limp.

Possible causes, but appreciate blog members own thoughts..
    - old age?
    - had a red growth on side body for a long time which seems to have disappeared, and some missing scales - possible illness?
    - daughter put seashells (unwashed) in tank for a few days, which i recently removed
    - we were away for few weeks, possibly overfed/underfed by friend looking after the fish

Not really sure what to do next. I changed about half the water yesterday.

Appreciate your help, we'd love to see our goldie perk up again!

Dan

[​IMG]

2. Faebinder

Faebinder Well-Known Member

If you didn't do water changes while away yet over fed, then it sounds like a fungal or possibly a bacterial infection both superficial. Maybe ick.

Frequent water changes, salt with or without pimafix and melafix is what I recommend. I'm not a fish doctor...

Can you get a better picture of the missing scales as those are a bad sign and we need a description of the tank and its parameters from tests.

3. Daniel S

Daniel S New Member

Thanks for your reply! Ill look into that.

Attached a closer pic of scales missing side of body. They have been missing for a long time though (many years), so not recent.

Cheers.

[​IMG]

4. Fishheadz

Fishheadz Well-Known Member

First off, If you've kept a goldfish for 10 years, congratulations!
    I agree with Fae, some more info would be in your fishes best interest. Aquarium size, Water Parameters(tested w/ a quality kit like API Master Freshwater kit, NOT TEST STRIPS);
    Temp, pH, Ammonia, NitrIte, NitrAte? What's your normal routine (how often do you do water changes?, how much do you change?, how often are you cleaning the filter? How many times a day do you feed?, and what do you feed?)
    A better pic or two showing missing/damaged scales(left side/right side), and/or a (HD) video displaying the behavior would be best.
    Do you know when the fish had it's last bowel movement?

I would suggest a much larger water change today, despite doing 50% yesterday. I would suggest a minimum of 80%, and then 80% again in 2 days. Repeat this for a week or two, every 2 days, change 80%. After a week or two doing 80% every 2 days, go to doing 80% weekly. I suspect poor water quality to be the underlying culprit. Try the water changes for a week or two, before medicating, so as not to medicate unnecessarily. Not sure what dechlorinator you use, but I highly recommend Seachem Prime.

EDIT:
    I see now in this pic you have a fairly thick (small size)gravel substrate, I hope this fish hasn't accidentally swallowed some and is impacted. Gravel is usually best to be avoided because of this, and because thick gravel substrates are difficult to keep clean, and uneaten food, fish waste, and other debris can become trapped, thus harboring bad bacteria. If bad bacteria is present in the substrate, and the fish roots/sifts the substrate, it may come into contact with said bad bacteria, resulting in an internal bacterial infection. I would try water changes first, but have meds at the ready.

5. Daniel S

Daniel S New Member

Thank you for your reply!
    Acquarium is about 80-100 litres. We've been pretty rough with care (my wife would put in town water untreated, but I would always add de-chlorinator - generally water changing once a month or every two months), but the fish seems to have been fine up to now. Generally feed a little pinch each day, but while we were away is possible was fed different amount.
    Not sure when last bowel movement.
    Ill do the larger water changes as you suggest with a good dechlorinator, and see if that helps before trying medication.And will try to upload the video later.
    Note too advice on the substrate. If the fish has swallowed some is that usually fatal?
    Once again appreciate your help.
    Dan

6. Fishheadz

80 liters, that's only like 20 gallons, not nearly big enough for a fish of this stature. I would say this fish needs a minimum of a 55g, a 65g 0r 75g would be MUCH better.
    The water needs to be changed EVERY WEEK, minimum 50%, 80% would be best. The filter should be rinsed (with old aquarium water) EVERY OTHER WEEK.
    A fish of this size would likely do better with 2-3 meals a day vs. 1 a day. I suggest a high quality food, such as Repashy Soilent Green, and Frozen Bloodworms (NOT Freeze Dried)

If the fish did actually swallow some(a piece), it would depend on the diameter of the gravel piece, as well as where it ended up becoming lodged within the intestinal tract, as to whether or not the fish would become impacted. You might try feeding the fish a few (no more than 9 or 10) cooked, de-skinned peas. Be sure to observe the fish closely(particularly looking for a bowel movement), especially within an hour or two after consuming the peas.

7. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

This fish has reached geezer status. As an old person, I can assure you that I can no longer do things that didn't bother me at all a couple of decades ago. So your fish probably can't tolerate poor water quality that was fine with him five years ago. Fishheadz gave excellent advice on getting your water quality up.

The gravel is probably small enough that it will go right through him much like sand goes through a smaller fish. A thinner gravel, like a half inch deep, would be cleaner. A quarter inch of sand would be even safer.

Fishheadz and Faebinder like this.
  8. Faebinder

Faebinder Well-Known Member

Geezer status, I'm so gonna use that at work. :D

CaliGold and Fishheadz like this.
  9. Fishheadz

also, I'm wondering, if you have any aeration (air pump, tubing, & air stone)?
    would like to note too that not only is the aquarium already an insufficient size, but then you have a huge ornament in there aswell. I would suggest removing said ornament, to allow the fish more room, (until you can upgrade to something larger)

10. Daniel S

Daniel S New Member

Thank you everyone for the responses and great advice, appreciated and ill keep updated on progress on the old geezer! Thanks

11. CC11

CC11 Active Member

I would also suggest cleaning your substrate by taking the fish out and rinsing the substrate a couple of times non clorinated water. At the same time 100% water change. It is amazing or not just how dirty the substrate is even if you vacuum weekly like I do.