Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.
  1. Guest
    Friendly note from GFK. Please review this beginner guide for your fish.

Sick Black Moor! Ammonia poisoning?

Discussion in 'All Questions from Newbies' started by Katrina16, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Katrina16

Katrina16 New Member

Hi. So I have two goldfish in a ten gallon tank (I know that is too small but we are moving so our larger tank is sitting idly by for now). They have been in this tank for about 3 weeks, and I changed their water once a week(70%). Two days ago, I saw that my black moor has red bruising underneath, between his fins. It looks like internal bleeding or something. Since noticing it, I changed their water again (70%), and have cut back on feeding them. The other regular feeder fish seems to be fine, but the black moore is becoming lethargic. I checked the ammonia levels today (because pictures of ammonia poisoning seemed to the closest to his condition)and they were at zero (not test strips but actual test kit). His fins aren't rotting, and I only really see red on his chest area, his gills seem a little pale too. He isn't getting any better, and I might argue that he is getting worse because he is starting to hang out at the bottom of the tank. He swims up for food, but otherwise he's been hanging out at the bottom all day. He also seems to be unable to control his balance. he starts floating upside down kind of, until he gets back to his regular position. I don't know what to do. this is my first time owning goldfish and I am terrified. Any advice would help.

oh! He also seems to be constipated because his poop is white and stringy.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  2. chocky

chocky Well-Known Member

sounds like internal bacterial infection

i dont think 70% weekly is enough for 2 goldfish in a 10 gallon tank.
    start doing daily min 50% water changes

can you get access to medicated fish food? look for something with metronidazole

Brabant likes this.
  3. Katrina16

Katrina16 New Member

So will that work for any internal bacterial infection? Because ive heard of using maracyn 2 or other medications, but I have no idea what the best thing to use is or do you think that would be the best for what I've described? Also do you know if that will be sold at petsmart? it's the closest to me.

4. Faebinder

Faebinder Well-Known Member

Sounds like it's internal now and needs medicated food as chocky suggested (metro or prazi). I buy mine online. Needs clean water. Raise temperature.

5. chocky

chocky Well-Known Member

Prazi will only do flukes and parasites.

Metronidazole is just the name of the anti biotic. Its quite a good anti biotic that covers and treats most of the more 'common' bacterial infections.
    since there's no way to know exactly if the bacteria is gram +ive or -ive, i usually use metro as a first step.

but again (cant' stress this enough) - you will need clean clean water. you can put all the meds you want in a tank but if the tank water is not clean, there's no point and you're just wasting your time and money.

6. danarea

danarea goldiefanatic

Medicated food should be combined with the meds in the water. Without seeing pictures, what you are describing sounds like septicemia to me. Google it and see if the pictures shown match what you are seeing in your fish.

7. *Ci*

*Ci* Goldie Guru

I agree that pictures are needed. These fish are in an uncycled new tank with only weekly water changes - they are being exposed to rising ammonia rates if the OP isn't using a binder like Prime every other day.
    Take Chockys advice and start changing at least 50% (more is better) everyday and add Prime to protect the fish. Get test kits and learn about cycling - you'll be wanting to add salt as well when the nitrites start up ...

8. Katrina16

Katrina16 New Member

I didn't know how to upload pictures so I created a photo bucket for them.
    http://s1053.photobucket.com/user/k...[user]=144672305&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0
    I did think it was septicemia, but he doesn't have fin rot or anything, it just the red bruise. I couldn't find the metronidazole at petsmart, so I got him tetracycline for now, and am gonna order the metronidazole. He is up and swimming (second day of tetracycline), and seems a little better, but the bruising is still there. My water is at good levels, I've started cleaning it everyday until i started the tetracycline. All the levels are good now, and I'm gonna clean it today (as per the directions for the tetracycline)
    I do use Prime since I got the fish to condition my water because the water from my tap has higher ammonia levels.

9. joe

joe Well-Known Member

make sure you do not have any shells or wood that may not be cured, this can cause your water to go sour or alter water chemistry. Make sure the other fish is not bullying the moore. Make sure your current from the filter is too strong that it is causing your fish to become stressed. Feeder fish can be much more active than moores