Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.
  1. Guest
    Friendly note from GFK. Please review this beginner guide for your fish.

Sick Fish...

Discussion in 'All Questions from Newbies' started by Marielle2016, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Marielle2016

Marielle2016 Active Member

I let myself be talked into bringing a few fantail goldfish home (3 small ones from wally-world). I know they are in a too small tank (10 gal) right now but I have a 55 gallon I'm setting up (just waiting on the rest of the equipment needed to get it running which I ordered online) and I'm picking up a 40 gallon on Tuesday so they will have plenty of room soon.

Problem is, they did not come from a good place. They all seem to have various stages of fin rot I think. Is there anything I can do for them? They have white stuff on their tails and their tails seem a little ragged. They also seem to spend most of their time sitting on the bottom of the tank. Is this something they can come back from or should I just prepare for fishy death?

Right now they are being fed a mix of goldfish pellets and freeze dried blood worms. I have some gel food ordered and will be here next since I couldn't find it at my local lfs.

Thanks

2. danarea

danarea goldiefanatic

Salt the tank they are in. Use aquarium salt, 1 TBSP. per gallon....so 10 TBSP...for two weeks. Remember to replace the salt lost through regular water changes. Watch your water quality if you have just set up this tank, as you have yet to complete the cycling. Get API master drop test kit...do not rely on the strips as they are not accurate. Use Prime by Seachem as your dechlorinator and know you can use that in between water changes to protect your fish from water quality swings as your tank cycles.

Bless your heart for rescuing those little critters. Good luck! Keep us posted on your progress...

3. Marielle2016

Thanks for the help. I had the tank already cycled and ready for fish. Originally planned for a betta. It's how I got talked into the goldfish because we passed by the fish tanks and I stopped to look but wasn't planning on buying there and got talked into trying to save some poor goldfish.

Unfortunately, it was pretty obvious as soon as we got them home that they were sick and needed lots of help.

I attached the test results after a massive water change. (I siphoned out 4-5 gallons and replaced it using a 5 gallon bucket. Did that 4 times so I changed out 16-20 gallons of water. Please note that my water company recently treated the water with chloramines and my plain tap water reads as having 1 to 2 ppm ammonia.)

I do use Prime and Stability daily whether I change the water or not and I do have the API master test kit and have used it. I have a 55 gallon tropical community fish tank and another 10 gallon with a betta fish that I use it daily for. I know the tank and the filter can't handle the bio load of goldfish but I'm trying to keep them alive and help them as much as I can until I can set up the 40 gallon I am getting on Tuesday.

I'll run to PetSmart later and get the salt since I don't have any on hand.

Thanks again

Unfortunately, one of has passed. The other two look in much better shape so might make it.

(ps... yes it is a glo fish tank kit... I hate the tank, filter, and decorations... but it is for my daughter so I left the garish colors alone. The only thing I did was change out that horrible black gravel for sand. And the filter is enough for a betta which was all I was planning on putting in there to begin with.)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  4. joe

joe Well-Known Member

test your water daily as even in a cycled tank you can have ammonia spikes with goldfish. Your fish look ok in the pictures. Go with the salt treatment, monitor your water and be prepared to daily water changes if necessary

5. Marielle2016

Those two look okay in person. They have some slight fuzziness but if the third hadn't had fin rot so bad half his tail was gone I wouldn't have noticed it on them. Tank is salted so we'll see how that goes. They both perked up quite a bit after the water change earlier and I also gave them some frozen emerald entrée. They scarfed that down pretty fast. I'm hoping that was okay to give them. I couldn't find where it specifically said they could have it but I didn't notice any ingredients that made me think it would be bad for them either, but I haven't finished researching what is safe for them to eat yet.

My next question... providing they survive until then... I get the 40gallon breeder tank on Tuesday. Should I cycle that tank first before adding them (which will take weeks) or should I just go ahead and get them into that tank as soon as possible? Normally I would use the existing filter on the new tank for a few weeks until the bacteria had a chance to populate the new filter but in this case should I not use anything from this tank to limit any contamination? Or does it matter and I should just go ahead and use the filter until the new tank is stable?

Thanks

6. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

Get them into the new tank. Put the existing filter in along with the new one. You should be most concerned about keeping your water quality high. Any microbial contamination will come in almost entirely with the fish rather than the filter.

7. Marielle2016

That's what I thought I should do but wanted to make sure. Water changes will be nearly daily even after they are in the big tank. Mainly I'm concerned about the high levels of ammonia in my tap water. Might have to get some filtered water until it goes down.

8. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

What is the ammonia level in your tap water?

9. Marielle2016

Last week, my tap water tested at 4.0 ppm. This week it has so far tested between the 1 and 2 ppm mark. I'm hoping this means it will continue to go down to 0. I tested the goldfish tank before the water change and it was at .5ppm. After I did the water change it tested at 1ppm so I overdosed Prime to hopefully keep it from harming my babies. I'll test again when I get home and probably do another water change. I get the 40gallon tank tomorrow and I'll switch them into there as soon as I can get it set up. Can't wait.

They seem to be okay so far and they are both super friendly. I approach the tank and they come up to the glass to watch what I'm doing. I'm hoping they survive. I've already gotten attached and they've only been with me 3 days.

CaliGold likes this.
  10. Marielle2016

They're still alive! Yay! Picking up the tank today. Ordered a temporary filter to use until I have the money to spend on a good filter (was only $22 on petsmart with their 25% off flash sale with in store pick up). Should I use the temporary filter (Tetra EX45 - normally I wouldn't get this filter but I only had $25 to spend and it was the highest rated one I could get for that price) or should I use the Aqueon 55/75 off my 55 gallon until I can get a good filter? (I have a 55 community tropical tank running a marineland penguin 350b filter and an aqueon 55/75 filter).

Don't know if they are girls or boys but I've been calling Eon, the calico, a boy and Echo, the gold one, a girl. Probably completely wrong but I got tired of saying he/she/it all the time. Eon is totally laid back. He kinda just lazes his way around the aquarium. He kinda makes me think of a weird mix of the depressed donkey from Pooh and the surfer turtle from Finding Nemo. Which is weird I know. Don't ask where I get these associations from. Echo is totally into everything. She's definitely the more curious and outgoing of the two. She's the gossipy broad that is totally up in your business all the time wanting to know what you're doing... as long as it doesn't interfere with her eating time. She definitely eats the most of the two. Eon just grazes a little but he's done fairly quickly and moving on... Echo is still trying to find food to eat even after she's eaten a good size portion and coming up to the glass begging for more.

Eon is about an inch SL and Echo is maybe an inch and a half but she's like three times his width. Should I work on getting Eon plump? He seems a little skinny for most goldfish I've seen.

Will take updated photos once they are in their new home. Won't have it completely the way I like for awhile.... being broke sucks! But, they will at least have more room even if it isn't perfect yet.

Speaking of.... anyone have experience with the AquaTop CF series canister with the UV light for tanks up to 175 gallons (525 gph)? Like? Dislike? Does it work well with goldfish? Too much for a 40 gallon goldfish tank? Was thinking about getting this filter when I have money again. It's more expensive than a HOB but not the three hundred dollar range of an Eheim and it has the UV sterilizer built in so wouldn't need to buy a separate one.

11. Marielle2016

uploadfromtaptalk1453868736068.jpg

Tap water straight from the tap. Before adding Prime or any other conditioners.

uploadfromtaptalk1453868800623.jpg

Eon and Echo in their new home. Should have waited and let the sand settle a little more before adding them. Not sure they are liking it yet. Might be too much space...or maybe just too much water pressure. They went from a 10 gallon to a 40.

uploadfromtaptalk1453868867090.jpg

Full tank view. Will scrape off that half removed label tomorrow. Too tired tonight. Will see about getting better lights so I can add plants. The tank is a little bare right now. I couldn't get the tetra 10 filter to fit over the rim of the 40 gallon and the tetra 45 doesn't have any room whatsoever. Leaving the old filter in the corner of the tank for now. Hopefully it will still do some good.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

12. danarea

danarea goldiefanatic

So...the calico, to my eye, is clamping his dorsal fin. This is a symptom of feeling unwell. Watch him. Meanwhile, because you have ammonia in your tap water, I would use ammo chips in your filter or use a chemi-pure or a Purigen pad in your filter.

In terms of getting your filter to fit in your tank...try opening the kid and sliding it toward the front of the tank...this should open a space large enough to accomodate your HOB.

13. Marielle2016

I would like to.... but I'm using a cheap filter until I get paid and can afford a better filter (preferably a canister). The Tetra ex45 doesn't have room to add anything. I tried to add the old filter from the 10 and even that wouldn't fit and it is little. I have a bag of the Fluval ammonia remover that I was going to add to the filter and it doesn't fit either. Both the old filter and the Fluval stuff are sitting in the back corner of the tank. Doubt they are much use back there but I hope it helps a little. I've also double dosed with Prime and have added aquarium salt. Other than going to the store and getting bottled water, there isn't much I can do until payday.

Yeah, he's done that since I got him. I've been watching him and other than wandering the tank looking depressed he seems to be fine. He is eating. Not quite as much as Echo (the orange one) but enough that I don't think he's going to die of starvation. He doesn't have any visible signs of fin rot or ich. He swims fine and is strong enough that the filter flow doesn't bother him.

Echo, the orange one, has intermittent swimming issues. Occasionally, she'll list to the side as if she's being buffeted by a strong current. Eon can be right next to her and has no reaction so I'm assuming this is not a case of the current being too strong (especially since she's on the opposite side of where the filter is located) and more a case of her having problems.

(Yes there is also a common goldfish in there. Friend was just going to dump it in the toilet and flush it due to fin rot. Seems to get on okay with my two. Already seen an improvement in him since he came to live with me.)

Edited to add... It's the rim of the tank it won't fit over. I didn't have the lid on when I was trying to get it to fit and there is enough room between the wall and tank as well. Just the rim is too wide for the filter.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  14. Marielle2016

Everyone is still alive and appears to be doing okay. Eon isn't clamping his dorsal fin as much. Still does it some but he's been swimming around looking a little less droopy. Echo still sometimes has swimming issues but it is inconsistent so haven't figured out yet whether it is a health issue or too much flow issue.

The white common with orange cap is the concern for now. He's got a bad case of fin rot. Half of his tail is gone already. Hopefully being in a bigger tank with lightly salted water will help him recover.

15. Marielle2016

I think I spoke too soon on Eon... he seemed to be doing well yesterday. Swimming around and eating... but this morning I woke up to find him in the bottom corner of the aquarium. I thought he was dead at first until I noticed his gills moving. I fed everyone and he came out for a minute to eat a little bit and then went right back to his bottom corner and was there when I left for work.

The other two were swimming around normally as far as I can tell. Should I be doing anything besides salt? Like Melafix or something?

16. danarea

danarea goldiefanatic

How much salt do you have in the tank? Salt it at the rate of 1 TBSP. per gallon of water. Go to the store and get a media bag and ammo chips. Fill the media bag with the chips and drop the bag into the aquarium.

17. Marielle2016

The salt level is lower than that today. When I set up the tank I used the 1 tbsp per gallon rate. Last night I did a partial water change (only about 15% because of the already high ammonia in my tap water, I mainly was just vacuuming the bottom of the tank for poop and uneaten food) and forgot to salt the replacement water.

Is there a particular brand for the ammo chips? I'll be going to the store this afternoon but I wanted to see what they had online so I could make my shopping list before I get there and get distracted by everything. All I'm seeing at Petsmart is the API ammo-carb or the API ammo-lock. Are these the products you're talking about? If not, they may them in store but not on their website.

I do have Fluval Ammonia Remover already sitting in a bag in my tank. Once I replace the filter with one that has more media space, I will put it in there.

18. Marielle2016

What the heck is this? Today is the first time I've seen this. He's been bottom sitting all day. He did come out to eat a little but seems to have a little trouble swimming. I'm pretty much assuming he's not going to make it. :( Is it fin rot or is this something else? Anything that can be done? Should I just move him to the 10 gallon to get him away from the others and let him pass?

Attached Files:

19. Marielle2016

Well...

Eon is gone. He passed while I was at the store getting some medicine. The tank is now dosed with Melafix and Pimafix and I have added another filter. Not the filter I wanted because they were sold out of the one I wanted but better than nothing. Apparently, PetSmart does not carry the sponge filters. I will have to order those online or drive a ways to see if any of the other aquatic shops have any in town (or call them if I was smart).

Other fish look fine and are currently swimming around enjoying themselves. Did an 80% water change before medicating the tank and double dosed with Prime. Tap water still shows 2ppm of ammonia so hopefully I dosed enough prime to protect my fish. No visible signs of stress, shock or illness right now (other than the common's tail already half missing from rot but he's zooming around the tank like he's feeling good).

Will keep an eye on them but it looks like we're good for now.

20. Faebinder

Faebinder Well-Known Member

Man 2 ppm ammonia from tap is harsh.

I don't know how u can fix this other than using drinking water for water changes