Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.
  1. Guest
    Friendly note from GFK. Please review this beginner guide for your fish.

Sick Fish...

Discussion in 'All Questions from Newbies' started by Marielle2016, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Marielle2016

Marielle2016 Active Member

I know. It sucks. It's not really feasible to buy drinking water for water changes unless it was only for every once in awhile. I'm hoping it will cycle soon and be able to handle the ammonia. It was seeded from a cycled tank so I'm hoping it won't take long for the bacteria to catch up. I'm hoping I won't have to invest in some kind of filter to get rid of it.

Ugh.. I did do some tests and took pics. I didn't take pics this morning so I don't know if I read it wrong this morning or if it came down some over the day (it was tested at about 6am this morning and this test was taken at 6:45pm). Goldfish tank is reading about 2ppm and tap is reading about 1ppm on this set of tests. Coulda sworn the tap was 2ppm this morning but maybe I was still half asleep and didn't read it right.

[​IMG]
    Goldfish test on left, tap on right.

[​IMG]
    Goldfish test results. Did an 80% water change this morning. Tank is partially cycled but not for the bio load it is under. It has filter media from the 10gallon cycled tank and I also added a couple of plants and decorations from my 55 gallon so hopefully that has some good bacteria as well to help it along. Went ahead and did another 75% water change this evening and just added prime. Probably wasted the medicine added from earlier but I wanted to get some of those levels down.

[​IMG]
    55 gallon freshwater planted community tank which also had a 60% water change this morning. Ammonia almost always reads at .25 or less. I'm not sure why it never reads 0 ammonia on here. I also have the Seachem ammonia alert and that is currently yellow. It turned green this morning after the water change for awhile.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  2. Faebinder

Faebinder Well-Known Member

0.25 out of the tap is fine just add prime.

2.0 from the tap is a death sentence I would think.

3. Marielle2016

0.25 would be great. I wouldn't have a problem with it, unfortunately for the last 3 weeks my tap water has not tested that low. Last night when I tested it, the water from the tap showed 1ppm of ammonia. That's the lowest it's been in over two weeks.

.025 is from my community tropical tank. It always seems to test with a small amount of ammonia. When I changed the water yesterday, immediately after changing the water it showed nearly 1ppm of ammonia. Several hours later when I did the tests again for comparison with the goldfish tank, it had gone down to .25.

Fish all seem to be healthy and thriving. Still swimming around normally and eating well. Tests show ammonia is a little lower than last night in the tank. It seems the bacteria is finally catching up to the bio load. Hopefully the worst is past and they will be fine now.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  4. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

As Faebinder said get some Seachem Prime water conditioner.
    The normal dose will protect your fish from up to 1 ppm ammonia and nitrite. Add the recommended dosage for your full tank volume to the fresh water.

5. Faebinder

MM... I'm trying to brain storm on how to help remove ammonium chloride from the your water.... You could try boiling the water then cooling... that will leave the water a bit acidic though due to HCl.

A better option would be to add a small amount of sodium hydroxide then boil. That will get rid of ammonia keeping a neutral salt behind.

The things we do for fish...

6. Marielle2016

I already dose with Seachem Prime. And because of the high ammonia, I have been double dosing it.

Would boiling actually get rid of it? I'm also trying to think of how I could even go about doing that? I think it would take a week just to boil and cool enough water for one water change. I would also have to go out and get containers big enough to hold the water and bigger pots. I only own a few... and only two that holds more than 1 gallon of liquid at a time. But if this ammonia level doesn't go down I may have to resort to this.

7. Marielle2016

Well, I have ordered a ro/di unit for my house. https://filterdirect.com/product_in...id=30&osCsid=ae19e48feddd43eb3c444e5dfaf1afe6
    Should have it next week sometime. What kind of remineralization should I use? Seachem Equilibrium? Or just mix RO water with the waste water?

I've been doing 50-80% water changes daily and dosing with Prime. My tap still reads as having 1ppm of ammonia. I didn't test before I did a water test today so I don't know what those numbers were.... but I think the tank is finally starting to catch up to the bio-load. The ammonia is actually down from what it has been reading for the last week. Nitrites are a little high but I'm hoping they'll gone down soon. But I'm mostly excited that the ammonia is going down!!! Okay, I know it's still not a great number but when the tank is reading 2ppm and the tap is reading 1ppm all the time even with daily water changes it gets a little depressing. Finally it is under one ppm... even with a 30% water change. (I only did a 30% today because my Sunsun HW 402B canister filter with uv light came in today and I set it up and got it going using the ceramic media and sponges from the topfin internal filter that was in the tank already. Hoping it helps clear the water. It's been super cloudy the last few days.)

[​IMG]

So far the remaining fish seem to be doing okay. Not seeing anymore fin rot or white patches. The common with half the tail rotted off actually seems to be regrowing said tail. I swear that fish has gotten bigger too... could just be my imagination on that though. Echo still has some random swimming issues... I'm thinking it might be constipation or maybe I need to alter what food she eats. Otherwise they seem okay even with the cloudy water that's been going on. Also, duckweed apparently doesn't live long in a goldfish tank... I thought my fish were small enough the duckweed could get a hold but it seems they ate it faster than it could grow. They are leaving the other plants alone though.

CaliGold likes this.
  8. Marielle2016

Also.... canister filter for the win. Cloudy water is visibly clearer. It is so quiet I kept checking to make sure it was running.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

9. pritish1

pritish1 Active Member

congrats on getting your new canister, I also keep on checking my canister if its running as its so quiet. Hope now your tank gets cycled faster as now you got more media.

10. Fishheadz

Fishheadz Well-Known Member

Not true, my tap water reads 2ppm Ammonia, all the time(year round). This is because my city uses Chloramine (Chlorine & Ammonia) to treat the drinking water.
    I kinda freaked out at first, but now I don't even worry about it, I just double dose my Prime, and within 48hrs, the bio-filter has consumed it.
    (*Prime remains active for 48hrs, so if you're changing water after only 24 hrs, A:You're only getting half life out of the product(which is wasting product/ money), B:You're wasting water& time, C:Running yourself ragged with daily water changes, D:potentially slowing the growth rate of the beneficial bacteria.)

As for the duckweed, I grow it in a separate 10g, (along with some parrots feather) I decided to do it as an experiment, to see if I could winter over these two plants, so I won't have to buy more in Spring(for my 300g outdoor pond). They are doing great! A couple times a week, the goldies get a bit of duckweed to munch, I just scoop out a bit on two fingers, and drop it in their aquarium.

11. Faebinder

Funny, I just started doing this too but my fish is not into duckweed so it lasts.

12. Marielle2016

The water changes were more a result of vacuuming the bottom of the tank and because the water looked like it was really dirty everyday (I couldn't see the back of the tank it was so cloudy). With the canister filter in place, I don't have cloudy water. I can see the back of the tank now. The new filter has really improved the visible water quality. I didn't do a water change yesterday. It didn't seem necessary. I did dose with Prime because of the .5 ammonia reading today but so far I've left it alone. I'm really digging this filter.

Also..... umm, what is the hoopla about Eheim filters? I got a used one that I put on my 55 gallon tank. It's quiet and has lots of filter media... but I can say the same about the Sunsun for a 3rd of the price. I didn't like the set up on the Eheim. It was a lot more complicated than the Sunsun and while it is quieter than the HOB I took off the tank, it doesn't seem to be filtering any better. Am I missing something?

13. Fishheadz

I think as with anything else, you get what you pay for. The quality of the components used to produce a product in China, are going to be considerably lower than that of a product produced in say Germany, or USA. Not to mention, China utilizes child (near slave) labor, to produce/manufacture goods. Personally, I won't give my money to such a company, as it only supports what they do. Germans take pride in what they produce & produce high quality items, China produces things as inexpensively as possible, specifically to get your money ("hey look this item is 1/3 the cost of this similar item made by another company in another Country". Cost also likely has to do with warranty offered, or rather whether the company will actually honor their warranty or not.
    Take money out of the picture, If someone were offering to give me 10 Sun Sun filters, or 5 Eheim filters,...I'd choose the Eheims. Quality > Quantity.

You could buy a $50 pair of boots made in China, that might last you a year(despite how gently they are cared for), or you could spend $400 on a pair of USA made boots, that will last your entire lifetime(with proper care),....which would you choose?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  14. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

It is 2016 but I guess people still say these things.

Here is the Eheim canister filter, made in, well, guess where?

[​IMG]

CaliGold and Fishheadz like this.
  15. Fishheadz

So sad,I thought they were still produced in Germany, I knew that there was a reason I steered clear of Eheims & went with Fluval, they are made in Italy, (also producers of quality items).
    Bottom line, at the end of the day, you get what you pay for. In my eyes, Quality > Quantity, always.

16. Marielle2016

Externally they appear to be made of the material. Only difference I see is the size of the hoses. The eheim hoses are smaller than the hoses on the sunsun. The hoses themselves are made of the same material. I can't tell you about the motors so there may be a difference there. Maybe someone else has taken them apart to compare.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

17. pritish1

pritish1 Active Member

Almost everything nowdays is made in china or made in india but that doesnt mean its quality is not upto the standards of made in america or germany. The thing is that manufacturing anything here is a lot more cheaper (cheaper means not cheap but less expensive) compared to america or germany as the rate of land, electricity, employees etc. is lot more lower than anywhere else in the world as this nations are developing and promoting businesses. So companies are making a huge profit by making this products in here in huge quantities and shipping it all over the world at the same or more price than what they sold you before in America or anywhere else. The thing with Chinese brands like sunsun is that they are sharing the lowered cost of manufacturing with their customers whereas say anyother brand is increasing their own profit by not passing the benefits of low manufacturing cost.

Joshua's golds likes this.
  18. Fishheadz

I beg to differ, and agree to disagree.
    Marielle2016, I sincerely apologize for hijacking your thread, and hope your fish gets better.

Marielle2016 likes this.
  19. Marielle2016

Alright... well, I guess only time will tell on their performance long term. Maybe I'll end up hating the sunsun in the future. For now though, I really like the Sunsun... the Eheim I wish I could take back.

Fish seem to appreciate the new filter and clearer water. No fin rot to report and no one looks sick currently. I will not be changing the water daily now that it looks like the tank is finally starting to catch up. Hopefully, once I get the new tap water filter up and running it will take care of the extra chloramines and I can change my water without worrying if it wouldn't have been better to just leave the tank alone.

Fishheadz likes this.
  20. Marielle2016

No problem. Didn't realize it was such a controversial subject when I originally posted.

Fishheadz likes this.