Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Sick Goldfish Emergency

Discussion in 'Goldfish Conversation' started by robyneller, Jan 18, 2016.

1. robyneller

robyneller Member

Hi, I'm new to this forum, but I've been keeping goldfish for 15 years. I have two tanks, a 75 gallon with one Ryukin and a 120 gallon with one comet. They are both having very very strange poop. Very long 6-7" and food colored but with sections of mucus. Its also floating a little bit. The Ryukin has more mucus than the comet. I'm very meticulous with my tanks and I keep the water as pristine as I possibly can with water changes every 2-3 weeks. I monitor the KH at least once a week. I keep "Wonder Shells" in the tanks for minerals. I have zero ammonia and zero nitrate. I do have some trouble keeping the nitrates at a good level, but never more than 40ppm.

They have been totally healthy for the past 3-4 years but I just noticed in the last week that both have the strange poop. The only thing I've changed is I went from using Amquel + to using Prime. I know to use much less of the Prime so its not an overdose issue. Could switching from Amquel to Prime cause the change in poop?

The 120 gallon tank has only been up for about 1 month but I used all the old gravel and I simply moved the media from a 50 gallon tank (no longer in use) over to the new filter. There didn't appear to be any cycling issues. I had the Ryukin and the Comet in the 75 gallon together for about a day while I was setting up the 120 gallon, but other than that they live separate but they are both sick.

I had some 3 year old MetroMeds from Goldfish Connection that I very reluctantly fed them this morning out of desperation. I tried to order fresh food last night only to find that the Goldfish Connection is no longer in business. I assume the old food will not be potent anymore, but I'm praying its not spoiled!!!! I just ordered an overnight shipment of Blackwater Medicated Food from Drs. Foster and Smith.

Both fish are eating and swimming around normal and do not have any visible signs of illness other than the poop

My question is I guess, does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this strange poop?

Thanks,
    Robyn

2. joe

joe Well-Known Member

probably just the food you are feeding, possible infection but if the fish are swimming and eating well, would not worry about it. Try fasting the fish for a a couple of days and then start back with some shelled peas, your fish are adults and you may be over feeding. Can you take pictures of your set up

CaliGold and Lou like this.
  3. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

Agree with ^, i,e,, there is probably nothing to worry about. They are a bit constipated with either too much food, lower water temperature, slightly stressed. If the tanks are not heated, try to use food designed for colder seasons with higher wheat germ content.

Do not use the very old food and try not to use medicated food unless you know for sure there is a medical problem.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
    CaliGold likes this.
  4. robyneller

robyneller Member

Thanks so much for the quick responses! Their water is pretty cold so that very well could be the issue and added to that the moving to the new tanks. (The Ryukin went from a 50 gallon to the 75 and the Comet went from the 75 to the 120 in the past month). I will order some colder temp food and try that. I could be over feeding also because since I added the 120 gallon and I just have one fish in each tank I thought I could reward them with larger servings. I'll cut back on that as well. I will try the peas starting with tonight's feeding. The thing that had me the most concerned was the mucus looking poop that seemed to come out last. I will take some pics shortly.

5. *Ci*

*Ci* Goldie Guru

Why did you separate the fish? After living together for 3-4 yrs ... stress from both the move and the separation could be causing your issues.

My advice is to put them both in the 120 and get some more buddies - goldfish are communal fish!

Also, do water changes weekly instead of every 2-3 weeks to control your nitrates and overall water quality.

danarea likes this.
  6. robyneller

robyneller Member

Sorry I wasn't clear. They only lived together for a very brief time 4 years ago but the comet bullied the Ryukin so I had to set up a 50 gallon for the Ryukin. He got too big for that tank, so I got a 120 and moved the Comet to the 120 and the Ryukin to the 75 gallon. Ironically, I got the Ryukin to be a friend to the lonely comet I rescued from a neighbors pond after they drained it and this tiny baby comet (about 2" long) got left behind in a tablespoon of water. He is huge now.

I would LOVE for them to live together but the Comet bullies the Ryukin as soon as the lights go out and he nips his fins. They are fine when the lights are on though!

I remembered that I had heaters for the tanks, so I just installed them. Duh! I rechecked water parameters this morning and added Nitrazorbs to the filter media. I haven't been using the Nitrazorbs regularly because I didn't have enough space in the media baskets. Ugh. You think you know what you're doing then you realize you don't!

I will definitely increase my water changes as well to weekly. I guess about 25% each week would be good? I've been doing 50% every 2-3 weeks. i will attach pics shortly.

7. Faebinder

Faebinder Well-Known Member

What the comet needs is therapy for his aggressive behavior!

"Mr. Ryukin, how did you feel when Mr. Comet bit you."
    Ryukin: "Like I'm worthless, just a piece of meat."
    "and Mr. Comet, did you feel Mr. Ryukin was upset when you bit him?"

CaliGold likes this.
  8. robyneller

robyneller Member

haha, and I would so give him therapy if I thought is meant I didn't have to maintain two tanks! I just posted the photos below.

The Ryukin is hanging at the bottom a bit but this is normal for him/her, so I'm not too worried about him not swimming around a lot. Please let me know if you have any questions about the photos. I have a Filstar XP Large canister filter on each tank.

Attached Files:

9. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

That is a beautiful comet. I have one looked exactly like that. Mine is about 12" long with very long fins and here is a photo I posted in another thread (the one on the right). I love that fish.
    [​IMG]

10. Faebinder

You could put them in the same tank but put a partition in between them.. Save some space around the house.... if they share the same water they may get used to each other. I wonder if the chasing was a mating thing.

11. robyneller

robyneller Member

Very beautiful fish! Your fish and mine could be twins! I didn't even know this species existed. I thought he was just a common gold fish and then he developed those amazing fins! He gets the red carpet treatment around here and so does the Ryukin. When I found the comet he was actually bloody on one side in just a tiny bit of water not even enough for him to swim up right. I put him in a 10 gallon hospital tank and nursed him back to health.

I created a partition out of egg crate but it looks so ugly in the tank i decided not to use it. Maybe after this poop thing clears up I will try putting them together again with the partition at night. They don't bother each other when the lights are on. I considered maybe a mating behavior but he doesn't bump the Ryukins belly he just plows into him and pushes him to the gravel then nips his fins. I've seem mating behavior before and to me it appears as aggression only, but I'm no expert for sure.

12. Faebinder

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
    Goldie^HawnSolo likes this.
  13. robyneller

robyneller Member

Thanks. I like the suction cup technique.

14. robyneller

robyneller Member

I just got up at midnight to see if the Ryukin had pooped and I see that he did. The poop looks just like a long clear casing with no food inside it. What could this mean? I'm sick with anxiety. There is no way I'll get back to sleep.

15. Faebinder

Honestly, if the fish is moving healthy and doing ok physically I wouldnt sweat it.

Continue feeding de-shelled cooked peas. That oughta kick the constipation out.

16. robyneller

robyneller Member

Thanks for the reassurance. I pretty much have OCD when it comes to my fish, so of course I didn't sleep well last night! Hence the 12:19am post this morning! I love my fish so much and will basically spare no expense or effort to ensure their health so when something seems array I panic! I did try two peas each last night and I did see some normal green poop this morning! hahaha, don't tell anyone I get excited by green fish poop!