Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Southern California Pond Keepers.

Discussion in 'Goldfish in the Pond' started by orangecrush, Apr 11, 2016.

1. orangecrush

orangecrush Well-Known Member

Are there any Ponders in SoCal that keep Fancies ( Ryukins, Orandas,ect) outside all year long, and if you have, what was your experience ? Did it get too cold, and did you have any cold related health issues such as SWD or fin damage. I know it does not freeze that often, maybe just a few days a year, and where I live my preformed pond that is setting on concrete on my covered patio only got down to about 50 degrees.The reason I am asking is, I am thinking about building a couple of 6x6x2 above ground wooden ponds ( about 450 gal.) for a few different type of GF for breeding purposes. I just want to make sure they will do OK outside in the winter. I keep Koi,Commons, and Comets outside year around with no problem, just no experience with outdoor Fancies. Please respond.

Thank you, Jim.

2. Ichthius

Ichthius Professional Breeder

I'm in Oregon and keep fancies outside year round so you should be fine.

3. orangecrush

Yes, but you keep yours in a green house don't you ?

4. Faebinder

Faebinder Well-Known Member

I'm in Pennsylvania and mine are out in the pond all year. No I don't keep a green house but I do keep a heater that keeps temperature above 34F.

2 orandas and 1 ryukin got sick last winter (ironically I bought them from the same person on ebay). All my other fancies had zero problems (4 lionheads, 5 ranchus, 1 ryukin, 1 oranda, 1 fantail, 1 pearlscale, 1 bubble eye). Pond surface froze a few times with a small opening left at the waterfall and aerator. You should not have an issue in California.

5. orangecrush

Ok, Thanks. Jim.

6. Ichthius

Ichthius Professional Breeder

Some are in a greenhouse but it gets colder in there than you'll get outside. Most are in fiberglass tanks above ground. We briefly got down to -10F when that polar vortex happened a few years ago.

Most get some ice on the surface during the winter, even the greenhouse on the coolest day.

7. orangecrush

Thank you very much. I greatly appreciate your response ,but I just don't understand why people from SoCal can't take a moment to help another GFK member out a problem or a question. One of the reasons I joined this forum was to meet other like minded people nearby, but I guess I'm on my own.

Thanks, Jim.

8. Faebinder

Don't panic. A California slacker will come around sooner or later when they stop slobbing on the beach.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
    Joshua's golds and CaliGold like this.
  9. CaliGold

CaliGold Well-Known Member

Also, I'd like to point out that there may not be as many SoCal pond keepers here as you imagine, Jim. Water restrictions can affect a lot of potential pond keepers' final decisions. And calling them slackers won't help your cause if you want their help ;)

That said, my parents have a small pond in Southern California, and they haven't had weather related issues yet.

10. orangecrush

I didn't call anyone a slacker, but thank you.

Jim.

11. Faebinder

Dont worry.. that would be me. heheh.

CaliGold likes this.
  12. orangecrush

That's OK, no harm.

13. CaliGold

@orangecrush not directly, I know, faebinder was the one to actually use the term "slackers". All in good fun. :) But calling out just the SoCal goldfish keepers repeatedly has a similar effect, I would think. Anyway, I'm not against asking for advice in your area if it exists, just not sure how many of our California members have ponds...

I like the idea of raised ponds, personally. Any idea if they will lose water to evaporation more quickly than an in-ground system? I know it has more to do with surface area than temperature, but I imagine the slightly higher daytime temps in an above-ground pond compared to an in-ground pond would contribute to higher evaporation. I suppose it could be a negligible difference, though.

14. Faebinder

The problem with a raised pond is gaining energy fast and losing energy fast but California will not have a problem with losing energy cause the bottom limit is ok. It's the summer that's a problem and the solution is simple. Add shade and make sure you have aeration all around the pond.

15. orangecrush

The reason I specifically asked SoCal members was because they would have first hand experience in the weather variations that we have here, and first hand experience in raising Fancy Goldfish in ponds here. Not that I did not appreciate the advice from from the wise GFK members from other parts of the country.
    This reasons I have above ground ponds is #1. I rent. If I owned, I would have a beautiful formal inground pond. #2. Although I am still healthy and active, I've had 4 hip replacements, and 3 back surgeries and above ground ponds are just easier for me to deal with.
    I have above ground ponds already with koi and single tails, and another turtle pond and I don't think they lose water any faster than in ground ponds.
    If I offended anybody by only asking SoCal members for advice, I am truly sorry.

Jim.

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  16. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

I doesn't make a difference I can measure. I had one in-ground pond that was ground level. One typical rainstorm and it was overflowing. After that, I build even in-ground ponds with sides that go at least a foot above ground level. With my fully above-ground container ponds, the temperature variation depends on the depth and the volume. The larger ones stay a little cooler in the summer. In the winter, I don't see much difference in temperature.

17. CaliGold

There seem to be a lot of pros for having above-ground ponds then! I'm glad, because I really want to build one (or several) in the near future. Thank you orangecrush and shakaho for your observations. :)

18. FancyTophat_Goldfish

FancyTophat_Goldfish Active Member

I've kept my pond out all year. With no heaters, just tons of aeration. I'm a Socal Keeper. Currently have a 300gal pond, 165, and several tanks.

19. orangecrush

Hey John, do you also keep your aquariums outside?

Thanks, Jim.

20. Breann Thurman

Breann Thurman Well-Known Member

I know a few people In CA that keep fish outside all year. After living in the bay area myself for a year I dont think you'll have any issues. :) Im now in Oregon and one of my family members kept goldfish outside all year and they somehow survived a huge snowstorm that hit back in.....I think it was in 2008 ( dumped over 2ft of snow on us) She always said the fish did better than anyone else did.