Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Spilled Carbon

Discussion in 'D.I.Y' started by johnnyboy, Feb 18, 2015.

1. johnnyboy

johnnyboy Member

Hello,

So I pulled out the activated carbon from my AquaClear 110 HOB filter, and the bag ripped! :eek:mg: Little pieces of Carbon has spilled all over my white sand in my 55 gallon!! Does anyone know any tricks to remove the black carbon bits from the white sand?? Do I need to remove all the sand and replace it with new sand?? The sand I use is attached....

Thanks in advance!
    Johnny

Attached Files:

2. Brandonc41

Brandonc41 Member

I would try to siphon it up. If that doesn't work I guess pick it by hand. That does suck though.

3. Ichthius

Ichthius Professional Breeder

Find a fish net that will let the sand through but retain the carbon. If that doesn't work well enough, if you put the mixture in a column and fluidize it I suspect the carbon will float to the top of the sand.

4. johnnyboy

johnnyboy Member

Unfortunately, the siphon doesn't pick it up without taking sand with it.. The pieces are also the same size as the sand, so when I used my fish net, the sand and carbon both spill out :-S

@Ichthius i'm intrigued by your idea! Can you elaborate? I'm not sure what you mean by putting the mixture into a column and fluidizing it. The carbon does appear to be a smidge more buoyant than the sand is however...

Thanks!!!

5. Fishheadz

Fishheadz Well-Known Member

I think he means something like a 2' long piece of 4" PVC, with a cap on one end, (standing vertically), dump sand/carbon mix in, fill with water, see if carbon floats to top of sand.(may have to repeat several times, to remove carbon) If not, you may be able to introduce some air via an air stone to help lift the carbon particles to the top. (Im thinking you may also be able to do this outside with a garden hose on low, shoved into the bottom of the PVC tube, with sand/carbon. The carbon may float to the top and spill out over the edge of the pvc, while retaining the sand in the tube.)

....just a guess, I honestly am not sure if that's what he meant, or if anything I suggested would work, but it might be worth a shot.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  6. Ichthius

Ichthius Professional Breeder

Pretty much. Put the sand in a cylinder (taller and skinnier the better) put a hose down to the bottom turn it on to make the sand fluidize and the carbon will float to the top, turn off the water let settle then siphon it off.

Have you tried a net yet? If it's the right size mesh you should be able to run it through the sand and if the carbon is large enough it will retain in the net.