Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Still no Nitrites/Nitrates after 1 month of cycling and Tetra SafeStart

Discussion in 'Water Maintainence' started by Lukass, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Lukass

Lukass Member

Before I got my fish friday, I bought Tetra SafeStart bacteria and added it to my tank. For the past month I have been waiting for it to be cycled, but that never happened. It appears my local water uses chloramine, so I was unaware of that I would have to double/triple dose Seachem Prime to fully dechlorinate the water. I'm guessing this is the reason I never got any bacteria to grow?
    Anyways, the TetraSafe start didn't work either and I'm clueless of what to do from here. My fish has a red streak across his body that I suppose is ammonia poisoning. Will I have to do 100% water changes daily to keep my goldfish healthy? Also should I be cleaning the filter? Any ideas of why bacteria won't grow?

2. CaliGold

CaliGold Well-Known Member

For now you should definitely do at least 70% water changes daily (the more water changed daily, the better, but it doesn't have to be 100%). As for cleaning the filter, just rinse it in old tank water once every other week to get any major gunk out. Too thorough might hurt a growing bacteria colony, so maybe wait a few weeks until you start seeing some cycling happening. The chloramine in the water might be the reason for the slow bacteria growth, but even normally it can take over a month for a tank to cycle. And since your fish is showing signs of ammonia poisoning, maybe the ammonia levels were high enough to be toxic to the bacteria as well.. Every case is slightly different from what I've seen in the forums.

Hopefully changing the water daily will help with your fish's red streaking! I'll cross my fingers for you.

Lukass likes this.
  3. Lukass

Lukass Member

4. Faebinder

Faebinder Well-Known Member

Bacteria wont grow for the following reasons:

1- Too cold (below 50) or too hot.
    2- Not enough food (you seem to got a lot of ammonia).
    3- No where to grow on (I presume you have a running filter).
    4- Something is killing it.

You could always add good bacteria. They sell those dried up in the stores.

Lukass likes this.
  5. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Ammonia poisoning usually appears as black on the fins and the body. A red streak sounds more bacterial. Can you take a picture of the fish. Those products that claim to establish bacteria colonies in your tank usually do not work. Do you have a good testing kit (API) ? Can you take a picture of what you mean regarding the fish?? Keep up with daily water changes

Lukass and CaliGold like this.
  6. Lukass

Lukass Member

@Faebinder
    Temperature is a constant 72 f, when I was fishless cycling the ammonia was constantly between 2ppm and 4 ppm, I have a HOB filter and sand substrate for the bacteria to grow on. The only thing I can think of killing the bacteria is the chloramine in the water.
    I've never heard of dry good bacteria. Does it work better than something like tetra safest art?

@joe
    I do use an API test kit. I can upload a picture in a hour or 2 when I'm home.

7. csoth1

csoth1 Well-Known Member

You say you still don't have nitrites/nitrates and I'm assuming you did an ammonia test but you haven't mentioned what the levels are. What's your reading?

I'm currently in the process of fishless cycling four more 40Bs we've recently added. From what I've read those bacteria additives are bunk, additionally though if you're fishless cycling you have to keep feeding the tank or your bacteria will die off. Basically you'll have whatever bacterial load your tank can support. If you aren't feeding it then it can't support any and you may as well not have done fishless cycling. At this point your fish is in and you're now cycling with fish. If you keep monitoring and doing frequent water changes then as long as you don't have too high of a bio load for what your tank can support you will settle out.

In the future I'd recommend using ammonia to cycle your tank, there is an ok article on fishless cycling right on the home page of this site. It's best to buy ammonia that doesn't have any surfactants or other additives. Some surfactants are ok, others will make it impossible to cycle the tank, but the label will just generically say surfactant, so best to avoid them all together. I use the Ace store branded ammonia. If you're buying new fish for a new tank then you should avoid buying them until your tank is cycled and you're just maintaining the bacteria.

Lukass likes this.
  8. Faebinder

How about this... if you really believe it's the chloramine in the water..... then get regular drinking water from the grocery store and do a 100% water change with that. There is no chloramine in drinking water. Put some more ammonia in it and watch for the nitrates/nitrites.

Lukass likes this.
  9. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

You don't have to double or triple dose Prime to treat chloramine. The normal dose will do.

As long as you change your water enough to keep your ammonia below 1 ppm and dose with Prime every other day, your fish will be fine. Once you have nitrite in the water add a teaspoon of salt per 10 gallons of water to protect your fish from nitrite.

Brabant and Lukass like this.
  10. Faebinder

Shakaho,

If you have hyacinths or water lettuce in the tank, will 1 teaspoon of salt per 10 gallon kill the plants?

11. Lukass

Lukass Member

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of the red line I was talking about on his body. I put him in the bowl while do a water change, and so I could get better lighting. Any diagnosis of what this is?

12. csoth1

csoth1 Well-Known Member

No worries, that's the lateral line. It's a sensory system that helps the fish with detecting movement and vibrations in the water. No disease or damage there.

Fishheadz and Lukass like this.
  13. Lukass

Lukass Member

That's a relief. Another issue I'm seeing is he isn't moving a lot when I have the tank light on, but at night in the dark he is active. Is he just stressed?

14. Faebinder

Mine do that as well in my hospital and quarantine tanks. The glare is just irritating to them. They don't have eyelids like we do.

Lukass likes this.
  15. joe

joe Well-Known Member

You just got that fish and he is still adjusting. There is nothing wrong with him. However if you take him out everytime you do a water change that will stress him out. Leave enough water to cover him. Do you have him in an area where there is a lot of traffic (people walking buy) that can stress out a new fish as well

Lukass likes this.
  16. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

Almost certainly no.

Lukass likes this.
  17. csoth1

csoth1 Well-Known Member

I believe the general advice is to not use the tank lights when you first get a fish as the light will unduly stress them. So, being a new fish, exposed to tank lights, and being moved back and forth to the bowl for water changes your fish is probably very stressed. Try to reduce the stressors and give it time to adjust, it should be fine.

Lukass likes this.
  18. Fishheadz

Fishheadz Well-Known Member

also, a TV near the aquarium that may be exposing the fish to flashes of light, could also stress the fish. Or, a radio being played at high volumes, with excessive bass, may stress the fish.

Lukass likes this.
  19. Lukass

Lukass Member

If you leave fish in when doing a water change, won't it be exposed to chlorine/chloramine until the dechlorinator negates it?