Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.
  1. Guest
    Friendly note from GFK. Please review this beginner guide for your fish.

Stressed fish?

Discussion in 'All Questions from Newbies' started by CherryKitty, Feb 3, 2016.

1. CherryKitty

CherryKitty New Member

Hi!
    I bought a fantail goldfish a week ago from the pet store. He has everything in his tank: a lot of space (25 galons), filter, oxigen pump, gravel and a few decorations. He is quite tiny, having around 2-3 inches.
    Today I got my shippment of 2 other goldfish : a blackmoor and a ryukin. They are a little tinier than the fantail and they accommodated pretty well in the tank.
    My problem is that I saw my fantail behaving weird now. He follows the new fish (non aggressively)and now his pectoral and dorsal fins are folded.
    I tested the water and it was perfect.
    Could it be that my fantail is stressed because of the new fish?
    Please help!

2. Fishheadz

Fishheadz Well-Known Member

To provide you a better answer, I feel we need more information from you.
    You say you tested the water and it was perfect, what (type of) test kit did you use?, (drops & vials, or test strips?)
    and, what are the actual numbers for; pH, Ammonia, NitrIte, & NitrAte?
    How long has this aquarium been set up and running?
    What type of filter are you using?
    Were any supplements/ conditioners used in the aquarium? (products like Seachem Prime, Stress Coat, or AquaNova+).
    It is my thought that 3 fish in a 25 gallon is overstocked, and you may have an Ammonia or NitrIte issue.
    As a general guide 20 gallons for first fish 10g per fish thereafter, 3 fish really need 40 gallons or more.
    You can dim the light on the aquarium, to help reduce stress, but I get the feeling there is more to it than just stress, most likely poor water quality.

3. CherryKitty

CherryKitty New Member

Yes, indeed. I left some information unmentioned.
    For the testing kit I have the "API Freshwater aquarium master test kit" and the parameters were : pH 7.3, ammonia 0, nitrite 0,20 , nitrate 20 and the temperature is 73 degrees
    The filter is set to cicle 30 gallons per hour and the oxigen filter is quite rich
    As for the water conditioner, I ripped the brand from the bottle but I am satisfied with it.
    I am aware that I need a bigger tank but the one that I want is being shipped and will get to me next week (60 gallons)
    Like o said, the fish was fine and without folded fins, the problem starting only after I added the other 2 in the tank
    I hope I provided enough info

4. Fishheadz

Fishheadz Well-Known Member

How long has this aquarium been set up and running?

As I suspected, there is an issue with water quality, NitrIte should be 0, (not somewhere in between 0-20, not sure if this is what you meant or not?), Your 20 PPM NitrAte isn't too high, its good, but would be better if it were lower, 10 PPM is very good. Don't fret over this too much. Since you have a (possible) reading of NitrIte, I am guessing that this aquarium is not fully cycled yet.

A filter that is only turning 30 GPH, on a 25g aquarium is insufficient filtration. This equates to 1.2x total volume turnover per hour, you should be shooting for 4-8x total volume turnover per hour. Goldfish are one of the dirtiest fish to keep, for this reason, it is best to use a filter that is rated for at least double the aquariums total volume. (i.e. If you have a 25g aquarium, you should use a filter rated for a minimum of a 50g aquarium. A 50g aquarium should use a filter rated for a minimum of a 100g aquarium)
    When getting into larger aquariums (over 100g) it's a good idea to shoot for a filter rated for 3-4x the total volume. (i.e. I have a filter rated for 400g, on my 140g)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016