Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

SUPER Excited!

Discussion in 'Goldfish Conversation' started by Silverphish, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Silverphish

Silverphish Active Member

Just finished doing my weekly water change and saw that my white fantail has breeding stars! They are just starting to show along his pectoral fin edges. While I'm not trying to breed them, I like knowing the gender and I feel like I must be doing everything right. Now he needs a name change, Noel isn't manly enough

By the way, what age do they produce these stars? I've only had them since July.

Joshua's golds and CaliGold like this.
  2. CaliGold

CaliGold Well-Known Member

Isn't it awesome?! I had no idea what gender either of my little fantails were when I got them, so I decided to wait on naming them, and then 2 months later they got some fantastic little breeding stars all over their faces and the leading rays of the pectoral fins. I was pretty much jumping up and down, and my husband may have laughed over my excitement a little. So now I have Aragorn and Boromir :)

How about Nolan, for your studly little male? :D

Joshua's golds likes this.
  3. Joshua's golds

Joshua's golds Well-Known Member

I have a beautiful rambunctious male black moor named Shaquanda.... Thought it was a girl when I bought him. This is why I'm sticking to gender ambiguous names now hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaliGold likes this.
  4. CaliGold

One of my friends used to name her pets something related to firefighting (her dad was a battalion chief). Blaze, Ember, Rookie, Smoke... you get the idea. Maybe find something you're passionate about and find inspiration for names there? :)

@Joshua's golds, did you consider just shortening Shaquanda to Shaq? :D

5. Joshua's golds

@CaliGold, I hate basket ball lol, and that's the first thing that comes to mind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaliGold likes this.
  6. CaliGold

Then what about "Sharq"? ;)

Sorry for deviating from the original question, @Silverphish, by the the way. Also, I think goldfish tend to start showing breeding stars around the time they become "mature" which I'm guessing is generally around the 1 year mark, earliest? I could be off on that, though.

7. Fishheadz

Fishheadz Well-Known Member

breeding stars is a good indicator that it is a male, however not necessarily 100% accurate. If I recall correctly this has been brought up in the forum, I want to say someone had a fish that at one point displayed breeding stars(on fins and gill plates), but that later was witnessed spawning eggs. *A Hermaphrodite, (not unheard of in the fish kingdom) Changing from female to male is called protogynous hermaphroditism, and male to female is called polyandrous hermaphroditism.

A Russian researcher some years ago reported he had discovered a protogynous version of C. auratus gibelio in a shallow lake on the steppes. Most of the fish were born female, but at about the three-year point a small percentage converted to males, enabling the species to perpetuate itself.

One character out there claims that many varieties of goldfish routinely change from male to female at the two-year point. However, other researchers don't buy the idea. Sex/Gender reversal is mostly a matter of switching ducts on a sort of all-purpose gonad.*

Your fish may look like a boy, ...but actually be a (butch) girl.

*taken from; Feb 19, 1982: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/60/do-goldfish-start-off-as-females-and-turn-into-males

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  8. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

That would be a very large fish, gold color or not. :)

Joshua's golds likes this.
  9. Joshua's golds

I like Sharq.... Out of all my fish he has shown the most growth since I got them.... So he might be massive boy when it's all said and done...

CaliGold likes this.