Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Tank size and filtration.

Discussion in 'Goldfish Gear' started by Torch, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Torch

Torch Well-Known Member

Is 90 gallon 48x18x24 High too high for 3-4 inch Ranchus? What about filtration system using AquaClear 110 (BioMax or Matrix or Ceramedia MarinePure) and two 1 Liter DIY bottles of Kaldness k1 moving bed?

Plan to eventually get up to 9 SVR-Ranchus 3 to 4.5 inch in size. Feeding two or 3 times day with pellets and freezed dried Black Worms.

Got my 90 gallon tank and stand and DIY k1 moving bed filter going.

No fish yet looking for good importers of SRV Ranchus. I plan to use PurePond to cycle/establish bio filtration on k1 and Aquclear once I get the fish. Heard PurePond cycles tank fast.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  2. chocky

chocky Well-Known Member

Why don't u check out east coast ranchus?
    She has beautiful fish for sale regularly and she truly looks after her stock.

Would be better than trying to import from overseas..

3. Torch

Torch Well-Known Member

I'm looking for SRV Ranchus with more wen growth (big cheeks).

4. Ununique

Ununique Well-Known Member

Do you mean SVR (side view ranchu), or is this something else?

There are a couple importers of ranchu I've purchased fish from with mixed results. Dandy Orandas, and goldfishnet both offer good quality and strong fish.

As for chocky's suggestion, fine fish, maybe not the highest of quality, at least the ones she offers on her Facebook page.
    And I'll just say they seem pretty weak, as far as fighting off disease. And while the videos and such are great they have flaws you won't see. If you want to breed, you're better off finding some available from members here.

5. Torch

Torch Well-Known Member

Yes Side view. I had very bad experience with Goldfishnet (sick or swim issues upon arrival).

6. chocky

chocky Well-Known Member

Is that from personal experience?
    Or just your opinion?

You're going to have more issues with disease when you import from overseas.
    Since hers are locally bred they are use to the local conditions etc

If you want higher quality stock you have to be prepared to pay for it.
    If you're serious and are willing to pay you could always contact her and she might be able to sort something out.

And in terms of breeding her stock will probably breed more true.
    Dandy orandas are great fish yes. But u don't know the history of the fish and may not breed true to what you want.
    You can ask Cynthia and she can u exactly who the parent fish and background. Her fish have videos so if there are flaws you can see it and what you see is what you get.
    She is a breeder on this forum so I don't know what you're on about.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  7. Ununique

Ununique Well-Known Member

Yes.

Also yes. :)

I think that first point has more to do with the importer. I mean with Tommy, you better have your ich (etc) cures ready. But is has a lot to do with the fish than anything. I've had fish come down with stuff in quarantine and die, while another fish in the same tank shows no symptoms and lives on unaffected. This in pretty much pristine water conditions, well as pristine as my drinking water so maximum allowable limit of 10ppm nitrates from tap.

This is as true today as it was a decade ago when Tommy first started his website auctions. I don't know about anything prior as I never purchased any of his fish before he came online.

I have a couple of Ken's fish right now in quarantine and so far I am pretty impressed by them. They seem very strong, bounced back from the shipping very quickly. I have never purchased fish from him before, but I remember back when he used to make movies and send out CDs.

I would guess the internet and access has allowed both of these importers to move more fish so the incentive to reduce their own quarantine exists. But I take their word.

When I have one fish out of a group showing signs of illness and dies the next day while the other fish shows no outward sign of any illness. And then one after another the same related fish drop like flys. This to me points to a genetic issue.
    Although I'm to blame for conditions as much as anything, but thats not the complete picture. (I also blame the shoddy wiring in my basement that tripped a breaker powering my heaters.)
    It also says nothing about the fish's upbringing and grooming and care. I'm sure its commendable. I just don't believe I've ever received a fish from Tommy or Ken where I thought that this should have been culled.

This is all conjecture based on my own experience with these fish alongside others from different origins. And also my own opinion. I'm not looking to prove anything or convince anyone of anything.

Well, there is the one thing, movies can be misleading. If you can't freeze frame and expect a clear image you can't really analyze a fish any better than a simple photo.

8. chocky

chocky Well-Known Member

ok i actually don't know what you're on about. your first sentence is already contradicting.

but from this thread its pretty clear she is an awesome breeder
    http://www.goldfishkeepers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8682&page=2

photos can be misleading too
    you dont see the movement/balance of the fish, you can see if it's swimming around actively or just floating listless.

and you can press pause you know.. and her videos are usually 720-1080p so its pretty clear.

9. High Ranchu

High Ranchu Professional Breeder

Second suggestion.
    Why don't you try East Coast Ranchu
    High quality SVR, locally bread and healthy, less problems to deal with compared with imported. And Cynthia is right across the river from you in NJ

10. Torch

Torch Well-Known Member

Thanks looking at her for sale posting. Good news she is close by so no shipping require.

11. Torch

Torch Well-Known Member

So what filter setup would you recommend for a 90 gallon size tank? HOB or canister which models? For Ranchus (not babies).

12. chocky

chocky Well-Known Member

I actually prefer HOB (AquaClear 110 for a 90 gallon) over cannister, with additional one or two sponge filters. (Probably 2)
    Cannisters are annoying to take apart and clean the filter media.

You'll just have to test it out to see what works. Get a water test kit :)

Lou likes this.
  13. Fishheadz

Fishheadz Well-Known Member

Both my aquariums are in my bedroom, I prefer canisters, as they operate much quieter (i.e. no constant splashing water noises).

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  14. alorindanya12

alorindanya12 Active Member

I am looking to get a HOB Aqueon QuietFlow, but for a 29 gallon tank I don't know if I should get a 30 (200gph) or 50 (250gph). Anysuggestions; I am wanting to stick with the Aqueon brand because I already use one for another tank and they can use the same filter cartridge size. Thanks!

15. CaliGold

CaliGold Well-Known Member

Always go with the bigger one, if you can. Because if you upgrade the tank, chances are you may still be able to use the filter. But also because you want a high turnover rate for the water filtered per hour. Aiming for a filter that is said to handle twice the tank size you have is a pretty good way of getting that. :)

16. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

Although I am moving away from all water pump based filtration in favor of air lifts, the AquaClear HOB is the best HOB you can buy. It is very versatile and will not cost you much for media because the foam blocks last years. All other "cartridge" based HOBs are inferior one way or the other and will cost you more $ in the long run.

Joshua's golds likes this.
  17. alorindanya12

Any recommendation of what AquaClear filter to get for a 29 gallon tank? I am not familiar with the brand. And how is it different than one that you insert cartridges with?

18. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

Get the 70 model (which moves 300 gph). It is priced competitively with the other 300 gph cartridge based HOBs. It does not use cartridges but with a large compartment and an open basket (roughly divide the compartment into three sections) that you can use various media. My favorite is to use 2 or even 3 (reticulated) foam blocks, which can be cleaned/rinsed many many times for several years. It is like a big high-flow sponge filter. It is the best biological HOBs and that is the most important aspect of filtration.

Plus it has a flow adjuster so you an turn down the flow if needed.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  19. alorindanya12

Is the 50 that much different than the 70 model? The reason being, I only have a 29 gallon, and the 50 is stated to be for 'up to 50 gallons." Does the 50 model have good enough flow for that size tank without being over kill (to me the 70 model doesn't seem cost effective)?

20. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

Right now, the 50 is $35 and 70 for $47 at Amazon. The 50 pumps 200 gph and the 70 300 gph. And they use the same motor so the same power consumption. In that regard, the 70 is more cost effective, running wise.

Yes, the 50 is enough for your current tank but the 70 can be used when you upgrade to a big tank, which will happen. :)

CaliGold and alorindanya12 like this.