Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Tank size and filtration.

Discussion in 'Goldfish Gear' started by Torch, Feb 26, 2015.

1. alorindanya12

alorindanya12 Active Member

Ok, my order has been placed for the Aqua Clear 70 through Amazon Prime. Should be here on Saturday.

CaliGold likes this.
  2. chocky

chocky Well-Known Member

u may need to buffer the outflow with some filter floss pegged to the output
    don't want a tsunami in your tank

3. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

OK, now you got the filter. Here is a short but helpful video showing you how to setup. At 2:30 second mark, he demoed how to turn down the flow (if it is too strong for your tank). As you look facing the filter (filter in back of the tank and you are in the front of the tank, if you rock the U-tube to the right, the flow slows down. He is using a smaller model but they all work the same.

alorindanya12 likes this.
  4. alorindanya12

5. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

Basically yes but there are two types. One is a whole sheet and you cut to size and the other is loose stuffs (usually called PolyFill) and you just tear some off and use that way. Both are available in many stores like wally-world. Just make sure it is 100% polyesters (no additives) and most of them are. Very inexpensive and good.

The one you linked is a sheet.

Here is the other type.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0042SUTLG/?tag=amzffny-20

The filter you ordered does not need this stuff because it has (the better) reticulated foam. The poly stuffs do have many uses and you can see a huge box (lasts me many years) I use in the upper-right corner of the pic I posted earlier.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  6. alorindanya12

What I had seen as one use was from Solid Gold, to slow the flow of water into the tank by hanging some in front of the 'waterfall.' I bought some yesterday; do you think for that purpose it would be useful?

7. CaliGold

CaliGold Well-Known Member

By hanging it in front of the "waterfall" it'll diffuse the water so it doesn't create as strong of a current. Just don't let it hang down into the water much, as I'm sure some curious goldfish would try to nibble on it (and might get caught on it or pull it down). It should work for the purpose you described, I should think. :)

Lou likes this.
  8. alorindanya12

So, now that I have my new filter (go Amazon Prime for getting it to me in one day!), how do I put it in place of my old filter? Do I just change it out or is there something I need to do with the new filter other than sticking it in and turning it on?

9. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

No, do not change it out. I will be posting in a bit to tell you more about the details because I need to take care of something now.

10. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

Yes, that would work. As CaliGold said, it is really just diffusing the return water. Your filter is still moving the same amount of water (gallons per hour).

We turtle keepers had to do that often because our tanks are usually partially filled so there is great splash of water if we do not do anything. What you do is to take off the filter cover, cut your batting to size and put a small part of it into the filter housing, Then you put the cover back on so the cover is pushing down/holding the batting. Finally put some weight on top of the cover to hold everything in place. In the picture below, you can see I use a piece of black aquarium foam (it adds extra biological filtration). It is actually a broken AquaClear 70 (formally called 300 I got over 15 years ago). I modified it by getting a $10 small submersible filter pump and it actually works better for turtle tanks.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  11. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

OK, so you have an old filter and now a new filter. I do not know what your old filter is but I assume it is doing all the biological filtration for your tank. You need to be careful to change filters because you do not want to cause a new cycle in your tank.

1) The best way to do this is to run both filter for a few weeks. Then you remove the old filter.

2) If you cannot wait for a few weeks, you can accelerate it a bit. I do not know what your old filter media is. Let's assume it is a cartridge. What you can do is to put the foam on the bottom of your new filter, and then the old cartridge above the foam. You may need to cut up the cartridge to make it fit. In a few weeks, you can then toss the cartridge and put in the bio media that comes with your filter. By that time, your foam should be seeded.

3) Another way is to do a partial water change, then wash/rinse the media (e.g. cartridges, etc) from your old filter really well in the removed tank water. Then you put the new filter media (the foam and bio media, not necessarily the activated carbon) into that "dirty" (but good) water. Squeeze the foam so it can absorb that dirty water and leave it there for a few minutes. Put the new filter into work. You can actually do this even though you are running both filters at the same time for a while because it will speed up the seeding of the new filter. Basically what happens is that the dirty water from the old filter media has some good bacteria in it. By putting the new filter media in that water, some bacteria will attach to the new media, then they will multiply quickly to handle ammonia and nitrite.

So we do not want to destroy/remove the good bacteria by simply changing out the filter.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  12. alorindanya12

Thanks! I actually can run the new filter at the same time as the old; I just don't know if that will be too much water movement in the tank...so it is a good thing I got that fiber stuff.

Lou likes this.
  13. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

You can turn down your new filter to minimum flow. You can reduce your old filter flow by wrapping some of the quilt batting around the intake tube with some rubber bands.

14. alorindanya12

Can I just add the sponge portion for now and do the carbon bag and bio material later when I actualy switch over the filters?

15. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

You could but why not put the bio pack in there as well so it will start seeding. I never used the carbon.

16. alorindanya12

Cool, thanks. And once I can trade out filters, can I put the old filter in a new tank (fishless until it cycles)?

17. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

Well, if you put your old (cycled) filter in a new tank, that new tank would be instantly cycled, if you use some old tank water to fill the new tank.

18. alorindanya12

What if that tank is just sitting with water in it already just waiting for the filter, would that water still be good? (so sorry for asking so many questions, I've only had a tank 3-4
    months).

19. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

How long was the water sitting in the tank? I have no idea if it is still good or not.

I store fish tank water in 55 gallon drums by timing my water softener recharge once or twice a week. I can tell you that water is perfectly fine to use.

Unless you are talking about hundreds gallons of water, I would empty the tank and start putting in some tank water, and then fresh water. Personally, I would still use the water if it was sitting in the tank for days, not weeks or months.

20. alorindanya12

It's been 11 days now in a 29 gallon tank.