Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Thai Black Ranchu - getting the babies black!

Discussion in 'Goldfish Grooming' started by Cincy Ranchu, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Cincy Ranchu

Cincy Ranchu Professional Breeder

In April I purchased 24 Thai black Ranchu from Fish Corner. Harrison Storm received six of the shipment. I retained the remainder. After spending the rest of the summer in a tub in the house, I moved them to my display tank and primed them with gel food and fbw.

For relatively small fish I have several spawns over 1000 fry each. Initial culling pitches about 75% because of spikes ns full dorsal and collapsed tails. The remainder are in tubs and tanks. At six weeks the fish are getting blackish on the peduncle. I am growing them in various treatments, such as black tanks, white tanks glass tanks and blue tanks. Food after the live brine shrimp stage has moved on to fbw, gel food and golden pearls.
    Some groups are now blackish. I would like to ask the people with breeding black Ranchu experience to make suggestions on getting these fry black

Pictures to follow in the next day or so....

2. GoldenMcNewbie

GoldenMcNewbie Well-Known Member

I'm not experienced, but I managed to darken a dark brown Lionhead/Ranchu to black by keeping him in lots of sunlight, and using Grolights indoors.

3. Jikin Junkie

Jikin Junkie Well-Known Member

Just my theory but I think exposure to light triggers growth in Melanophores...the type of Chromatophore that produces the black/brown pigment in fish.

GoldenMcNewbie likes this.
  4. Cincy Ranchu

Cincy Ranchu Professional Breeder

I think your comments are good, but a source of direct sunlight in January is tough when the water needs to be in the 70's or 80's

5. tObi

tObi Well-Known Member

I agree with @GoldenMcNewbie, sunlight is the best way to get them black. Her's my BTO, he had golden belly when i got him, now hes solid black.. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. Ununique

Ununique Well-Known Member

I've had some good results under high quality LEDs. No where near as costly as the false economy shop lights.
    I've not run any comparison tests, this is just sort of maintenance of color stuff.

Although, then you have to contend with GW which is good and bad I suppose.