Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Thin, wiggly worms???

Discussion in 'Goldfish Clinic' started by daimlerz, Jan 26, 2016.

1. daimlerz

daimlerz Member

Would anyone know what those 1/4 - 1/2 inch long, very thin white wiggle worms in the water could be? I noticed them swimming in a wiggling manner a few weeks ago after I did my water changes of my three tanks. All the fish are healthy with no obvious signs of distress but I'm just concerned about what they are and what health risk they pose to the fish. I can only see them when the aquarium light is on. So they are visible to the naked eye even though they are small and skinny. It's hard to capture them in photos due to their size. I doubt they are tapeworms. Definitely not fish lice or anchor worms. In fact, I don't see any of them attached to the fish but just freely swimming in the water. In any case I dosed the three tanks with prazi powder. The tanks are on the second dose after a break of 6 days after the first dose. But this pesky worms are still there!!! What could they be and how do I get rid of them?

2. joe

joe Well-Known Member

are you sure these are not mosquito lavae

3. daimlerz

daimlerz Member

I doubt they are mosquito larvae because these worms are consistently thin throughout its length. Larva has a distinctive head and tail. Imagine a short piece of thin white hair that wriggles. Eww.

4. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

They are most likely planaria. You are overfeeding and there is probably some substrate in your tank.

They are not harmful but do suggest a off balanced tank.

5. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

They are nematodes. Free living and harmless.

6. Ichthius

Ichthius Professional Breeder

Dero worm.

7. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

Could be. I've never seen those.

Look at one with a magnifying glass and see if the worm looks smooth and firm (nematode) or has segments and can stretch and contract like an earthworm (dero worm).

8. Silverphish

Silverphish Active Member

I have had the same things in my tank for a while. I did everything, treated with prazi, treated with metronidazole, went bare bottom, boiled all gravel / filter media / decor, all over the course of a few months... nothing got rid of them. I do have live plants, (that I grow myself). If the fish see them, they eat them. I'm guessing that they are some kind of detritus worm. The only time I see them now is when I take apart my filters twice a month, so they must be living off excess food/poo in the filter media. I only feed twice a day (repashy) and I feed by hand so there is very minimal waste. At this point I assume they are harmless as all the fish are fine and none of the de-wormers killed them off

daimlerz likes this.
  9. daimlerz

daimlerz Member

I truly appreciate all the responses! It's good to know that these worms or living creatures (!!) are harmless. Like I mentioned before, the fish are all healthy and behaving normally. I don't have a substrate in the tanks and do not overfeed especially now that I let the water temp go down to 65 degrees during my northeast US winter (still controlled with a heater in each tank as I don't want the temp to go down too much) So feeding is much, much less too. I hate the site of those wriggling, thin creatures but if they are harmless, I should learn to live with their existence. I do notice that they appear more when I make water changes, which can only mean that they do live in the many filters because whenever I clean the filters, I suppose it disturbs them and makes them free swimming. I never see them attached to the fish. I think my ranchus and orandas with their growing wen are too blind to see them swimming so they never get eaten at all. LOL.

10. daimlerz

daimlerz Member

Wow, I just did an internet search on dero worms and found out that some aquarists like to grow and culture them as a live food source for their fish. Apparently, it is an aquatic thin worm similar to tubifex. They are high in protein and beneficial for fish growth. Thanks again everyone for providing insight and knowledge to my question/concern.