Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Thriving

Discussion in 'Advance Water Quality' started by Michaela, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Michaela

Michaela Member

Can there be a difference in surviving water quality and thriving water quality for fancy goldfish? I have done tones of online research and it seems no two answers or the same. I have yet to find any water quality opinions from a breeder.

2. High Ranchu

High Ranchu Professional Breeder

The question is not so much about the water quality itself, but water quality consistency. Some parameters might be slightly off from the"norm", as long as the water provides a consistent environment for your fish without major shifts.

3. TVRfan

TVRfan Professional Breeder

SURE! I know of people that have had goldfish "survive" for months in 10+ ppm ammonia (TAN) and 200 ppm Nitrate. Were they thriving, heck no, but many fish including goldfish can survive in poor quality water, ESPECIALLY is they are gradually introduced to it. That is why many fish "survive" new tank syndrome, or the Ammonia, Nitrite spikes that are associated with setting up a new tank, but recently acquired fish, put into the same tank die within a day or three. Big difference between surviving and thriving.

4. TVRfan

TVRfan Professional Breeder

Ultimately you need to find what works BEST for YOU, Your set-up, and YOUR fish.
    Every TRUE "pro" or "breeder" is going to give you a different answer, and that is what makes them good, they have learned WHAT WORKS FOR THEM.
    What works for someone on the West coast (A couple of fantastic breeders with great fish on this forum), may not work the same for me on the East coast. Groundwater is different, water treatment facilities are different, as well as many other factors. Plus someone running a biofilter that can handle 200 pounds of feed a day, a swirl separator, mechanical filtration, chemical filtration, ultraviolet sterilization, and foam fractionation, is going to tell you something different than someone who raises goldfish in a tub with an airstone and two 80% water changes a week.
    TRY not to stress TOO much over what everybody else is doing. For the most part, the books, the breeders, and this forum with give you general "guidelines" that are the proper ranges for fancy goldfish. As High Ranchu pointed out, consistency is a GOOD thing. I have witnessed several outstanding fancy goldfish doing quite well, in marginal quality water that was consistently marginal for years, that did quite poorly when the owner started feeling the need to try out several "NEW" techniques in succession, that may have raised the water quality, but did not do it consistently, and therefore caused the fish stress.

5. Ichthius

Ichthius Professional Breeder

Keep your pH up and take your nitrates down. Change your water regularly and do big water changes.

6. Michaela

Michaela Member

Thank all I feel much better