Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Tips on DIY moss wall

Discussion in 'Goldfish VS Plant' started by asteves, Aug 20, 2014.

1. asteves

asteves Active Member

I'm looking to build a moss wall for my tank similar to what is seen here: http://www.aqmagic.com/moss/moss-wall-mesh-sets-p-212.html. I would like to build my own wall, and I'm wondering if anyone can suggest safe, non-toxic materials and where to buy them. I'd also like to know what kind of moss you would suggest.

2. Lanthia

Lanthia Active Member

The site you are looking at used Java Moss and some kind of mesh. You can use egg crate and do the same thing. If your tank back is black use black egg crate. I’m not sure where to find it. The white crate will not show after a while. Just use plastic ties to sandwich the moss between the two pieces of egg crate. All can be found at your local hardware store.

I’m not sure if java moss is safe from being eaten. You need to research that. You can do the same thing with java ferns using just one piece of egg crate almost up against the back of the tank. Just stuff the plants in the holes.

Let us know how it turns out and be sure to show pics!

3. kuro

kuro Member

You can use Plastic Sewing Patterns they sell them for like a quarter or two at wally-world or any art store. Just buy two and place any moss between the plastic and tie the end together with fishing line. Since it plastic it will float you can use suction cup with hook to attach it to wall. Homedepot sell the suction cup. I prefer to use stainless steel though to sandwich the moss in between. People on plant forum, like plantedtank, sell the steel mesh. Steel mesh doesn't float so it easier to set up for beginner.

4. mangopixie

mangopixie New Member

I love that I want to make one too! Do you think fiberglass mesh is safe to use in a tank? I have tons of it left over from when I rescreened a terrarium.

I think christmas tree moss might work well!

5. asteves

asteves Active Member

All of my reading is suggesting that a plastic mesh is the way to go. I haven't seen fiberglass mentioned anywhere.

6. asteves

asteves Active Member

UPDATE: The wall went up last night! It'll probably need more moss, but I'm going to give it a month before I take it out and tweak it some more. I'll post pictures of the growth (if I get any)!