Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Traditional Chinese Goldfish Ceramic Pots/Bowls

Discussion in 'Goldfish Gear' started by txtstorm, Aug 27, 2015.

1. txtstorm

txtstorm Active Member

Does anyone have any experience keeping goldies in a very large pot indoors? I've been looking through the book 'Chinese Goldfish' and I really like the idea of keeping one or two this way, enjoying them from above.

Also, would anyone know where I might score such a large piece to keep them in? It wouldn't have to be decorated necessarily, just something tasteful of maybe 30-40 gal. capacity.

Thanks,

Adam

2. WaterbearGoldfish

WaterbearGoldfish Member

I am trying to find a pot to do this currently and my grandpa kept a small pond indoors, it releases lots of water into the air so you need to make sure that your not going to have mold problems in your walls inside, my grandpa accomplished this by getting a very large fan installed pointing outside so that all the evaporated water would leave faster then it could get into the walls, just be careful when it comes to this, if one thing goes wrong your going to have a very big mess to clean up.

3. High Ranchu

High Ranchu Professional Breeder

Keeping fish in the large ceramic bowl will require you to do water changes every day or every other day (depending on the feeding, time of the year and a number of fish). It looks pretty and cool, but it is a labor intensive method. You better start looking for a friend who will sign up to take care of your fish, while you take vacation or go traveling.

Chinese ceramic bowls can be found in any china town, on eBay, etc.

Andi and reefed419 like this.
  4. bettasngoldfish

bettasngoldfish water changer

I have found several nice Asian ceramic bowls/pots on online auctions. Just got a nice large one on a stand for $25

Andi likes this.
  5. bettasngoldfish

bettasngoldfish water changer

6. joe

joe Well-Known Member

that is very cool the only thing I would worry about is the led from the paint that may hurt the fish

7. Aquayne

Aquayne Active Member

Why not drill it out with a diamond whole saw and plumb it to an external filter? The bits are usually less than $20.00.

Andi likes this.
  8. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

Drilling would ruin that beautiful bowl. In Chinese homes, they often set up small shallow overhead sump filter (resting on the rim of the bow) for this type of fish bowl. Very simple and effective. Some plants like lucky bamboo can be put into the shallow sump (with the leaves above water surface).

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
    reefed419 likes this.
  9. Clockwork Aquatic

Clockwork Aquatic Active Member

Does anyone on this forum use this style of bowl? I purchased one this past summer, the size and simple goldfish artwork on the inside really impressed me. I'm not sure if the glaze is fish safe but I was thinking of setting it up when spring hits and trying a Web tail telescope cull to test.

10. Big Red

Big Red Well-Known Member

If it's a decent sized pot (+- 100L) and you add a nice sponge filter, you'd get away with weekly water changes. Check out these beauties:

14724538_10210477067144195_1836600582433893647_n.jpg

11. Clockwork Aquatic

Those are great. Mine is similar to the one pictured in post #5.

12. moneypit

moneypit Member

20160913_081808.jpg
    Definitely a unique way to go. As far as I'm concerned all goldfish are top view. I use a 50 gallon pot outside by my front door. There is a canister filter rigged up with surface skimmer(to keep the viewing surface clear) and a light. Water changes are with a bucket and I water my plants. 20161205_204405.jpg light makes them pop day and night. I put a cover over them before bed to keep out the raccoons.

I plan on using a 300 gal stock tank for another porch pond.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Dale, dahling8, Big Red and 1 other person like this.
  13. Clockwork Aquatic

That is an awesome bowl.

14. Big Red

Big Red Well-Known Member

Very nice!

15. octoari

octoari Active Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There's some 400-600 year old ming dynasty goldfish bowls on display in the library at the Biltmore Estate in Asheville NC, they talk about them on the audio tour actually.

reefed419 likes this.
  16. Dale

Dale Active Member

^^Now that's what I call a fishroom. :D

17. Clockwork Aquatic

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The previous owner had it since the early 60s. I hate the floral pattern on the exterior haha. It is about 18" tall and 19.5" at the rim. I'm in zone 5b so it will be several months before this thing goes out in the patio.

KimA., orangecrush and Big Red like this.