Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Upgrade News

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by small_ranchu, Mar 2, 2013.

1. small_ranchu

small_ranchu Admin Staff Member

Please use the following url to preview the system. Use your existing username and password to log in. Let me know if you see some functions are missing.

http://goldfishkeepers.com/community/

I am still working on
    - Social Group
    - blog feature...

Thank you.

2. RanchuLover

RanchuLover OBSESSED with carp

looks good!!! One more thing you might want to try is to do the import again when you are officially going to move because the posts in between the import and the official transition will be lost if you do not because the members are still using this forum for the main one but the xenforo forum is not the main forum so the posts on the main forum that were made after the import that already happened like this one will not be brought over to the new forum.

3. RanchuLover

4. RanchuLover

on and you might want to add back username group colors for breeders and such. Xenforo also has a feature where you can add multiple colored titles below someones username. Just a suggestion :) Ok here are a few other things i have noticed, Signature pictures, smilies, the new forum needs to be at goldfishkeepers.com/forum because of existing search engine urls and you need to use a 301 rederecrion script to redirect traffic to vb threads that have a different url type to xenforo thread urls. Here is a link to the official redirection script i found on xenforo's website: https://xenforo.com/community/resources/redirection-scripts-for-vbulletin-3-x.264/ Hope everything goes smoothly :).

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  5. Fishheadz

Fishheadz Well-Known Member

One thing I notice, in the "Recent Posts" area, in the "last message" column, it just gives the day/time of the reply, it would be much less confusing(user friendly) to display the actual date/time vs. day/time.

so instead of just displaying Monday 5:37 am(which Monday? was it today, a week ago, a year ago??), it should display 4/20/15 5:37 am

It appears also in the forum, that some posts display the date /time, while other posts only display the day/time.
    Actual date/time vs. day/time is much better.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  6. small_ranchu

I have bought/downloaded those components and already installed in the system. The only outstanding issue is need to figure out how to create private group setting for some groups.

Thanks.

I will look into it. Thanks.

7. small_ranchu

any opinion about this new style? :)

8. RanchuLover

i like it. Are you going to keep both forums or are you going to completely transition to xenforo? I think you should completley transition and close the vb forum and move goldfishkeepers.com/community to goldfishkeepers.com/forum. You should really purge the posts and re import everything when you are ready or the posts in between the first import and the final transition will be lost.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  9. Fishheadz

It looks pretty good to me, although I will say that the dark grey section separators are a bit "hard on the eye", I think that the medium blue as on the original forum, or a more subdued, toned down grey would be much "easier on the eyes", as there is not as much contrast between the two.

I also think that the "site for Goldfish Keepers" logo should replace the "xenFoogle" logo at the top of the page.

Furthermore, I feel that it would be best(smoother transition) to convert the entire site to the new software, vs. running two forums, and redirecting certain pages from the original site to the new site, which could lead to some confusion (with users and search engines).

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  10. small_ranchu

Definitely, I will only keep one system. Currently community is sort of pre-production version and I just want to give our members a taste of how the new system is going look like in future. Additionally it will serve as training system for people who are not very familiar with computer.

True... I just forget to add the banner. I will add it tonight. Thanks.

11. GlassGoldfish

GlassGoldfish sculpting ranchu daily Staff Member

I have seen both editions, Fred. The current one is good for clarity of information and easy to read, however there was something nice about the rounded corners and brighter colors of the first edition. What if you brought in a bold color palette such as something like this:http://www.interior-design-it-yourself.com/images/mid_century_color_palette_blue.jpg
    Thinking about this color palette..... I would try this: keep a lot of white on the page like you currently have, use the two blues for some background stuff, the red or tan for the headers of each section. Ok, perhaps I am being a pain in the ass now, sorry!

There are so many cool photos posted on the site. Is there a way to incorporate more of those into the site, such as a random image slideshow?

12. small_ranchu

I am looking into it.. It is not as easy as we think since we need to change the entire template to change the style. I know I can change the individual color by changing CSS but need extensive testing before go live.

For posting picture, I will investigate more.

13. small_ranchu

Change the new style again. Which one is the best? :)

14. GlassGoldfish

GlassGoldfish sculpting ranchu daily Staff Member

I like this newest one a lot!

15. Fishheadz

Indeed!
    I like this newest one a lot also.

16. small_ranchu

We are expecting to have our final migration at next week. During migration, I will shutdown the system for a few hours. Thanks all...

17. RanchuLover

ok. The new forum is going to be nice!!!

18. RanchuLover

Fun Fact: The xenforo developers used to be the vbulletin developers. The last version
    they developed was version 3.8. The original developers which are now the xenforo developers wanted to rewrite vb since version 3.6. In 2009, Internet Brands purchased vbulletin and fired the developers. Internet Brands chose to add on to vb 3.8 and they are still doing that with 5. That is why 5 is kinda messed up. In 2010, the developers formed xenforo. They they were sued by Internet Brands. Xenforo won the case. Xenforo's core is not messed up and the developers are actually fixing problems. I think it was a good choice for you to move to xenforo small_ranchu.

19. opera

opera accidental breeder

I think Fred is also a good IT person. Have been in several websites, most of them would be down at least once a year... This website is up 24/7..

20. RanchuLover

Is the final upgrade coming soon?