Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Upside down on tank floor

Discussion in 'Goldfish Clinic' started by Pacs, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Pacs

Pacs Active Member

I recently rescued a ryukin goldfish that was neglected for quite a while. He lived in a 5 gallon bucket for at least a month or two. I'm betting that he rarely had water changes....

When I got him, he was upside down on the bottom of the bucket... thought he was dead. I thought it was some type of temporary swim bladder issue and I could nurse him back to health... but after a week and a half of TLC, I've observed no change in behavior.

He ONLY swims upright briefly to grab food from the bottom of the tank, otherwise, he's always on the bottom of the tank upside down. Pretty miserable, and quite discouraging for me....I'm guessing it was his previous living condition that did this to him.

Can someone suggest what I could do to try and help him? Is this permanent and should he be put down?

The only thing I've tried so far is salt in the water. I've been looking online to for antibiotics (to treat possible bacterial-causing swim bladder symptoms) but haven't made the decision to purchase yet because I don't know if it IS a bacterial infection that I should be treating for.

2. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Take a picture of your set up. Continue with salt and pristine water conditions. Go easy on feeding. Try just a shelled pea or two. what is temp of your water? A week and half is not that long for a fish that has been abused for a long time.

3. Pacs

Pacs Active Member

I'm currently at work and don't have any pictures with me but he's in a 10 gallon bare bottom hospital tank by himself, sponge filter.

Should I stop feeding pellets and fbw and focus on just peas?

Temperature fluctuates between 70 and 75 degrees Fahrenheit.

4. Pacs

Pacs Active Member

It's been about 48 hours since he's eaten anything. No longer moves around as much as I described last week. Guessing he's too far gone to save?