Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Water changes enough?

Discussion in 'Advance Water Quality' started by chris0934, May 14, 2014.

1. chris0934

chris0934 Chris04

I have 2 telescope goldfish around 3 inched in a 160 gallon stock tank . I want to feed small amounts 5 to 6 times a day for good growth ( gel food)
    Is once every 5 days enough for water changes(100%)

I have a sponge filter and 2 air stones running

2. small_ranchu

small_ranchu Admin Staff Member

yes.. you are doing good. Please make sure you clean the filter every other week and check water quality every morning. If you see a lot of bubble, smell something funny, you might wanna do water change.

3. High Ranchu

High Ranchu Professional Breeder

Agree with small_ranchu. Best is to observe your water quality and act accordingly.

With only 2 telescopes in 160 gal tank I wouldn't change water that frequent. I would experiment with 100 % water change starting at 3-4 weeks and watch the water quality. Depending on how your sponge filter processes waist you can adjust the frequency of your water changes based on tests. Watch for nitrates and how fast they accumulate. That along with other indicators that small_ranchu mentioned will tell you how often you should change your water.

It is not a disadvantage to let the water get a little "old" or I would call it "matured" with still maintaining proper pH, ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels, etc. before replacing it.

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  4. Hinfin

Hinfin Banned

Changing water often with large changes does improve growthrate, if you would be looking for optimum growthrate.