Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Water quality

Discussion in 'Advance Water Quality' started by Joshua's golds, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Joshua's golds

Joshua's golds Well-Known Member

I thought my tank was cycled but I do but think it is... (For one I'm using he API strips which I have heard gives unreliable readings) and I have API liquid ammonia test, my ammonia is not reaching high levels, but my nitrite and nitrate are high using strips...

29gal with three (2 - 2.5 inches) in body length

Water test
    Ammonia .025
    Nitrite 5
    Nitrate between 80 - 160
    Ph 7.5
    Kh 80
    Gh 120 - 180
    Did a 90% water change yesterday and used prime

I do 90% water changes every 5 days, I have 30 HOB filter, and a sponge filter was added two weeks ago. I live in florida so water temp stays around 78-80 degrees.

Fish act and look extremely healthy good eaters, showing huge growth, trying to spawn breeding stars on both males right now, in two months since I added them to the tank.

Do you guys think this could be bad test results? I tested three times before yesterday's water change after the water change and today... And get almost identical readings each time.

Into plan on purchasing the API master test kit very soon.

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. GoldenMcNewbie

GoldenMcNewbie Well-Known Member

I would still watch the fish, their behavior could change.

Joshua's golds likes this.
  3. Joshua's golds

I will keep a close eye.... And tell tell signs of them going into stress from nitrites or nitrates ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. CaliGold

CaliGold Well-Known Member

Red streaking in their fins is usually a sign of poor water quality, especially higher levels of ammonia. It'll basically look like the veins in their fins are inflamed. Also, l've heard that some goldfish will come up to the surface a ton to gulp air if the water conditions have deteriorated and it is stressing them. just keep an eye on them, hopefully their behavior (or changes therein) can give you some insight on how they're faring.

In the meantime, for as long as you're not sure if your tank is really cycled, I would suggest doing large (75-90%) water changes every other day. Your tests could be giving you false positives, but on the off chance, err on the side of caution.

Let us know the results when you get the new test kit! :)

Joshua's golds likes this.
  5. Joshua's golds

I sure will and I think I will do every other day water changes until my new test kit comes in. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaliGold likes this.