Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.
  1. Guest
    Friendly note from GFK. Please review this beginner guide for your fish.

Water softener water

Discussion in 'All Questions from Newbies' started by JEM Fish, Nov 14, 2017.

1. JEM Fish

JEM Fish Active Member

Hello! I've been using well water from our outdoor hose until now, but now that it is winter we had to shut it off so it doesn't freeze. I now have to switch to using a faucet inside and rigging up a hose from the faucet to my goldfish tank (55 with 2 juvenile Ranchu and soon to have a ryukin). This water from inside is softener by our water softener, you add bags of softener salt to a tank, which then softens the water. Is this safe for goldfish? It is possible to switch it off, but a huge hassle. Would it be safe to use the softened water or should I try to shut it off for every water change? Let me know what you think! Thanks!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

2. magdela

magdela Active Member

I have wondered this same thing! I always use the water from an outside faucet instead of the inside softened water, but I wonder if I really need to.

3. JEM Fish

JEM Fish Active Member

I've been using softened water for my upstairs smaller tanks with a Betta bad the other tank has some wcmm. They are doing great so now I'm gonna try it with my goldfish. I have a feeling it will go swimmingly.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk