Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Wen trimming

Discussion in 'Goldfish Judging' started by GoldenMcNewbie, Sep 20, 2015.

1. GoldenMcNewbie

GoldenMcNewbie Well-Known Member

Is wen trimming considered cheating in a show? I'm just wondering..

2. joe

joe Well-Known Member

The fish does not loose points if the eyes are covered. I would only do this type of surgery if the fish is having difficulty with swimming or breeding.

Virginia ranchu likes this.
  3. GoldenMcNewbie

GoldenMcNewbie Well-Known Member

I've heard that orandas loose points for an overgrown or uneven wen growth.

4. afnaveils

afnaveils Goldfish breeder

What would you think if you extend trimming to straighten the edge of a veiltail in a show? I definitely think it's cheating.

5. Virginia ranchu

Virginia ranchu Professional Breeder

Show fish usually "peak" at a certain age when they are in their best condition, and then they typically start to decline from there....this could be from overgrown wen, obesity/buoancy issues, torn fins, or missing scales. If it's necessary to trim the wen for the well-being of the fish, then it's probably okay to do, but I wouldn't expect the result to make the fish a better show specimen. Once you get involved with breeding your fish, then you'll have plenty of new stock to show each year, and you can turn the older ones into breeders (or pets).

Rob

6. maileen22092

maileen22092 Maileen

i know trimming is a big thing in Asia right now with Bettas, they do it for showing, or to make a fish look nicer in order to sell it and there's a lot of push back against it here in the US, you aren't allowed to show a fish with trimmed fins here in the US, it's considered cheating since you're altering the shape of the fins to achieve a more balances look. I don't know about GF shows, but I assume trimming the wen is fine so long as it's done only to allow for the eyes to not be covered, but, IMO if you're trimming to alter shape, whether wen or fins, that's cheating because it's something you've done by hand to create a better looking fish and not something you've achieved through breeding and grooming.

i have an oranda whose wen i trim because the head and cheeks grow in such a way that they meet and cover his eyes.

not to mention how risky of a procedure it is, using sharp objects around the eyes is no joke, so i sedate using ms-222 because it has pain blocking properties in case the fish does feel pain when trimming the wen. most people don't risk putting the fish under unless the growth alters the behavior of the fish or hampers it's ability to find food - and even then, if you choose to trim it's something that you have to continue doing for the life of the fish because it'll just grow back in a month or two