Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

What do you think of this idea

Discussion in 'Goldfish in the Pond' started by Sbuggg13, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Sbuggg13

Sbuggg13 Active Member

So I am planning on moving my 5 butterflies outside in the spring and keeping them there until the beginning of fall (probably the middle of Sept). I am excited to do this because it's my first time having them outside and I can't wait for them to get into a breeding routine as well as getting the benefits of sun, and algae growth. I do not want an in ground pond. I have been looking at the Tuff stuff heavy duty oval pond at tractor supply. I've read a lot of reviews on these for stock ponds and the amount of positive feedback is great. My question is has anyone used these for outside stock ponds? how did you like them, did they stand up against the outdoors, how did you keep them predator safe (this is my biggest worry about keeping them outside). I would really love to keep them on my porch or deck. I don't want them too far from the house or from safety. I also found this below video and I am so intrigued by it. I have been going back and fourth if I should get one 110 gallon for my 5 fancy fish. They are all in my 125 gallon tank right now, and the water parameters seem fine. Towards the end of this video I realized the two tubs were connected with a pass through for the fish to swim over into the other tub. This is an amazing use of space as far as size of the water volume! It looks like it's PVC piping that they are going through. Obviously the fish in the video are quite small- way smaller than my fancies, however, I would get a very large piece so that no one would get stuck. Has anyone done this before? thoughts? Video link below.
    https://www.doovi.com/video/my-indoor-goldfish-ponds/zLeXtLWm0Vk

2. Sbuggg13

Sbuggg13 Active Member

Just a note: I know not to keep the fish in direct sun. Didn't mention that in original comment.

3. joe

joe Well-Known Member

just make sure you take into account predators such as raccoons and other animals. Keep a screen on your pond at all times or at least when you are not there observing the fish. Butterflys move very slowly and are easy targets

4. Sbuggg13

Sbuggg13 Active Member

Yea I was hoping someone could give me ideas for some sort of protection against predators. I like the screen ideas, but I feel like raccoons are smart enough to finagle their way through that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

Make a rectangular frame with 1x4 boards that just fits over the top of the stock tank. Staple hardware cloth to the frame. It's easy for you to lift off, but the only predator that can take it off is a bear.

http://s822.photobucket.com/user/shakaho/media/My Ponds/Stock tanks 6-11/006.jpg.html?sort=2&o=35

Actually, raccoons don't find stock tanks good fishing grounds, but they love in-ground ponds. Raccoons reach into the water to fish. It's pretty hard to keep your balance on the narrow edge of a stock tank and still reach into the water to catch something swimming under water. Herons and other wading birds fish in uncovered stock tanks, but they won't bother one with a cover.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    joe likes this.
  6. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

I have several stock tank ponds outdoors. I have some that have been in continuous use for ~ 8 years and are as good as new. The Tuff stuff 110 is fine for 5 goldfish and has a better shape than most 100 gallon tanks since it has a larger surface area and is more shallow.

I wouldn't connect two tanks. There are very nice 300 gallon tanks if you want more space.

7. calicomj

calicomj Well-Known Member

Beware the night predators, as well. An OWL struck my ponds at night, killing/eating multiple fish. Only scales and a mess was found where the fish once were. One fish survived the attack with massive injuries. I installed a net. No more missing fish since then. ALL fancies are easy targets and trapped in a stock container, even single tails are pretty easy pickings for birds

8. Sbuggg13

Sbuggg13 Active Member

Yea we have a big owl group here and a raccoon problem also. I was thinking of having my dad help with one of those thick metal sheets with the holes in it for at night/ when I’m not there or chicken wire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk