Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.
  1. Guest
    Friendly note from GFK. Please review this beginner guide for your fish.

What is this?

Discussion in 'All Questions from Newbies' started by Pepeperon, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Pepeperon

Pepeperon Active Member

Hi,

Woke up this morning and found this thing on my ranchu.

Looks like another wen on its back.

Eating, swimming and not bothered by it at all. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sorry for the bad quality picture but he/she swims around too much it’s hard to take a good one. Please let me know if I need better pictures as I will take them if needed.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Pepeperon

Pepeperon Active Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

3. calicomj

calicomj Well-Known Member

Definitely need a better photograph. You'll probably need to pick the fish up. It won't be possible to get a clear photo with it swimming.

4. Pepeperon

Pepeperon Active Member

Please let me know if u need more[​IMG][​IMG]

5. Pepeperon

Pepeperon Active Member

It also seems to be a little red too. I hope it’s just a bruise and nothing major.

6. Pepeperon

Pepeperon Active Member

The tank has been setup for two months now. My ammonia is the only thing I can measure and it’s at 0 now. I have done daily water changes everyday since the start of this tank. 3 of my fish had ick two to three weeks ago but they are all gone after quarantining them.

Only thing I can think of are rocks I have in my tank as I have quite a few. It does hide itself occasionally but only for a few seconds and looks like it is just resting.

7. calicomj

Might be an ulcer forming. If so, there will be trouble. Might also be a minor injury or benign growth forming. Hard to tell at this stage. You say this happened overnight? Can you please fill out as much of the disease form as possible?

What is Ammonia Level?
    What is Nitrite Level?
    What is Nitrate level?
    What is Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH)?
    What is Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH)?
    What is the brand of test-kit used(strips or drops)?
    What is your water temperature?
    What is the size of the tank (how many gals.) and how long has it been set up?
    What is the name and size of the filter(s)?
    Is there any substrate in the tank? If so how deep? and what kind (sand, gravel)?
    How often do you change the water and how much?
    How many fish in the tank and their size?
    Do you use water conditioner(if so, what kind)?
    What do you feed your fish and how often?
    Is there any new fish/plant added to the tank? if so how long is the quarantine period?
    Is there any medications added to the tank?
    Describe the problems you are seeing: example grains of salt on body, bloody streaks, frayed fins, fungus, staying at bottom, not eating, etc?

Also, when you say the fish hides, can you be detailed? Does it rest with its belly on the bottom? Also can I get a full tank photo so I can see what the fish may have bumped into?

8. Pepeperon

Pepeperon Active Member

The fish rests under the filter as that is his home. My interior has changed as I took all plants out and had all the rocks just laying there now. But you will get an idea of what I have in there. It seems like he goes back home less then this morning and the spot seems like it has shrunk and the wen looking thing is starting to go back to its scale look. *They have always shared the same home [​IMG][​IMG]

9. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

You have a lot of stuff in that tank which can injure fish, but I think the last picture explains any injury on the dorsal side of the fish.

10. Pepeperon

Pepeperon Active Member

Yeah, I will lower the filter and have it sit on the ground. Still possible of ulcer?

11. joe

joe Well-Known Member

do you vacuum your gravel? A lot of debris could be hiding under those stones which can cause all types of bacterial issues with your fish

12. Pepeperon

Pepeperon Active Member

I vacuum every time and I pick up waste close to 10 times a day as I work from home and I am always with them. I empty out my tank once a week so I get a really good cleaning of the debris that may of gotten stuck under rocks and the plants I had.

13. Pepeperon

Pepeperon Active Member

I now have the filter sitting flush with the gravel. I have kept an eye on them for the past few hours but have not seen them test on the ground. I’ll see how they are tomorrow morning and update here.

14. Pepeperon

Pepeperon Active Member

Good morning.
    Looks the same as yesterday but definitely more active and have not seen him/her rest on the ground yet. The lump may have gotten smaller but the redness is still there.

15. Pepeperon

Pepeperon Active Member

How long does it take for ulcer to really start acting up? It’s been 2 days, lump is definitely much smaller but the see is still a little red. I haven’t seen him/rest once today.

New problem now, my bubble eyes has red spot on fins. I have put him in the quarantine tank and have added 2% salt for today. Fish was swimming fine in main tank but wasn’t sure of what I should do so I put him in there just to make sure.
    What should I do for this guy?

16. Pepeperon

Pepeperon Active Member

[​IMG]

17. joe

joe Well-Known Member

if you are truly addressing an ulcer then those conditions can take quite some time to heal. If your condition has not become worse that is a positive sign

18. calicomj

The fish seem to be INJURING themselves. And the wood really shouldn't be in there with a bubble eye. Perhaps you should think about revamping the tank.

19. Pepeperon

Pepeperon Active Member

Yes, I will think of moving stuff out and changing things up. Would u say that’s an injury and not some disease or infection?

20. calicomj

Looks from here like minor injury to me.