Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

What should I do with the baby goldfish in the pond

Discussion in 'Goldfish in the Pond' started by Earmuff1, Nov 26, 2015.

1. Earmuff1

Earmuff1 New Member

In my pond I currently have 6 calico fantails which I would like to breed next year. I also have about 10 Shubunkins that are very small babies and only about 1 inch or 25mm long. Should I put the fish in a large 3ft x 1ft aquariums in an unheated garage or should I leave them in the pond? They temperature in winter is normally about 2c and occasionally it goes to -2c for a few day. I do have any electricity in my garage.

2. fantail1

fantail1 Professional Breeder

If you leave the Shubs in the pond, they will most likely make it through the winter and they may join in the spawning which will bring nothing but pain. If you have the opportunity and enough tank space, leave the Shus in the pond, bring the Fantails in and control their temperatures so they breed early - say April - and then you can return the adults to the pond in May / June and raise the fry in the tanks. Trying to spawn the Fantails in the pond will be slower (as the water is colder), there are more pests and problems; and of course you will be able to retrieve far fewer eggs. Given half the fish will be culled for colour and you are trying to raise a twin tailed variety, they are a numbers game - you need lots of fry to raise a very few fish.

3. Earmuff1

Earmuff1 New Member

Thank you, for your very helpful reply. I never thought about the culling of the fry. I will move the fantails to the garage and place them in the aquariums. On the other matter, All of the baby shubunkins seem to be matts. E.g. As you know this means theyhave no guanine on any part of their bodies, the iris of their eyes are black, but some have nice colours. Will these fish produce a second generation of Matt shubunkins? I must say that I prefer shubunkins with no reflective scales, and this is th first time I have fish with no reflective scales. If the fish survive winter in the pond, is it worth trying to breed a line of coloured matts?

4. fantail1

fantail1 Professional Breeder

I won't have time for a long reply for a few days but the short answer is don't bother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk