Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.
  1. Guest
    Friendly note from GFK. Please review this beginner guide for your fish.

White spots, ich or something else?

Discussion in 'All Questions from Newbies' started by Mettie, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Mettie

Mettie New Member

My fish has two largish white spots on his face. At first I thought it was ich, but it looks different to me, and I would expect there to be more of the spots if it were ich. The spots look a lot like pictures I've seen of orandas with new wen growth or whatever the white stuff is that they get, but he's not an oranda and doesn't have any kind of headgrowth. Can anyone tell me what they think this is?

The fish is behaving normally. The other fish that shares his tank hasn't been affected.

I haven't tested the water since I noticed this the day before yesterday, but my guess is that there's no ammonia or nitrites and nitrates are low currently because I did a major water change (>80%) right after I noticed. Before that, nitrates were probably very high because I had put off changing the water for longer than I care to admit.

Edit: I forgot to upload pictures. Ignore my algae covered plants in the background.
    Edit again: it took like three tries oops. Let me know if I need to make them smaller or something?
    IMG_20171230_203507764.jpg IMG_20171230_203532048.jpg
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018