Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

will my D.I.Y water pump work?

Discussion in 'D.I.Y' started by TheFishKeeper, Sep 1, 2015.

1. TheFishKeeper

TheFishKeeper New Member

[​IMG] will my water pump idea work

i got a tiny pot about 1 inch and 1 cm depth and 1 inch wide i used to use it to keep fishing bait in as i do carp fishing

if i put some holes on the sides and on the bottom and put some spondge and a hole in the lid and a drinking straw in there will it work if i put it in water also will i have to leave to straw poking out abit or put the hole thing in the water ? i only got 1 fish and a small tank so i dont need anything fancy or big

Attached Files:

2. Fishheadz

Fishheadz Well-Known Member

What size is your tank? (in Gallons or, Liters)

3. TheFishKeeper

TheFishKeeper New Member

its only a small £5 one as my fish is tiny i am going to buy a bigger one its like this tank ~(shown in picture ) its the medium size version it is big enough for my fish as he is about 1" and 1cm in length so he does have alot of room as he is my only one but anyway as you could imagine the filter i am going to be making isn't very big he looks very happy in that little tank but i will soon get a bigger one

Attached Files:

4. *Ci*

*Ci* Goldie Guru

If you are keeping a betta (Siamese Fighting Fish) in that tank, you don't need a filter - just change all the water every day or so (add dechlorinator if you have city water). If you have a goldfish in there, exchange it for a betta. The tank you have and the one you are going to get are both too small for goldfish - they grow fast and produce too much waste.
    Bettas like to be alone, goldfish need companions and a 20 gallon (80 litre) tank for two.

5. TheFishKeeper

TheFishKeeper New Member

hi my gold fish is still small still a baby fish but i get payed at the end of the week im 16 start my first day of work tomorrow (trial week) labourer for brick laying and im on £30 a day so i will get a bigger tank stones, ornaments and a real filter for the tank to clean and add oxygen to the tank

6. whale

whale Member

If you are low on money, get one of the plastic storage container. I got a about 100 liter (27 Gallon) tote /bin for less than £10, Get an air pump also less than £10 and make a filter with an empty water bottle like in this youtube video
    for the media just cut up some drinking straws, poke hole on the top of the bottle, put the tube in the bottom and plug up the hole with a sponge. Now it takes a few week for the filter to get fully cycled so for the next few weeks do water changes with conditioned water like every few days. then in about 6 weeks you can cut water changes to like once a week or so.

7. Fishheadz

Fishheadz Well-Known Member

Best of luck in your masonry endeavour. If you stick with it, it's a trade that is certainly an honest living. I apprenticed under a stone mason for 5 years, I am now essentially a Journeyman Stone mason, (though I'm not currently laying stone), so I know what you're getting into.
    So long as you don't mind getting dirty, working outdoors, pushing a wheelbarrow, and likely having several guys hollering at you for brick and mud, you should do pretty well.
    Be very careful using the mixer! Use a T Shirt tied around your face when mixing mud (especially when opening the bags). Keep your hands/arms wet as much as possible, even still then you'll likely want to keep a bottle of lotion at home, and use it on your hands/arms nightly, the mortar will really dry your skin out. The mortar will also permeate everything you wear, it will eat out the stitchings in jeans, shirts, shoes, etc. Drink plenty of fluids to stay hydrated.

I would recommend an aquarium of minimum 20G / 75L.

8. TheFishKeeper

TheFishKeeper New Member

im getting a bigger tank tomorrow and i want to do carpentry so this job is only temp until i meet someone that does carpentry and can take me on im also waiting to get on a carpentry course in college for 1 day a week and rest will be hard work