Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Will rainwater mess with water changes?

Discussion in 'Advance Water Quality' started by chris0934, Jun 20, 2014.

1. chris0934

chris0934 Chris04

I have two telescope goldfish in a 160 gallon tank they get a 100% waterchange according to how much I feed.It has been raining alot where I am from lately and I was wondering since my stock tank is outside will changing 100 % of the water shock the fish since its mixed with declorinated tap water and rain water
    I have 2 airstones and a sponge filter

2. *Ci*

*Ci* Goldie Guru

Rain water is generally very acid and soft, so heavy rains will drive your PH down and dilute your KH and GH. This constant fluctuation will stress the fish.

I live in a very rainy climate and I used to keep close track of these parameters and adjust things to my liking, weekly with additions of baking soda, magnesium sulphate and calcium chloride.
    I have since put a roofed pergola over the pond and no longer worry about it.

In your situation, your large water changes with tap water, should keep your parameters stable, but I would monitor the parameters if you have heavy rains during the rest of the week, and see what they do. If they move too much, consider more frequent changes or covering the pond either permanently or just when it rains.

3. chris0934

chris0934 Chris04

Thank you this was very helpful