Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Wintering your veiltail fish

Discussion in 'North American Veiltail Association' started by java fern, Dec 30, 2017.

1. java fern

java fern Member

Hello ,

I think it would be very helpful if some or all of the veiltail breeders and experienced veil keepers would go into detail about how they over winter there fish . Such as , do you give them a winter rest period , if so how long ? If you do a winter rest period , what temperature do you try to maintain ? Also water changes and feeding ?
    If you don’t use a rest period for your fish , what do you do different than say your summer routine ?
    I think this is the most difficult time period for goldfish keepers .

2. nolaveils

nolaveils Breeder

My veils are kept outdoors in New Orleans all year. At the moment they are experiencing 40F water temps that will last a least for a couple of weeks. They will do fine. If the cold temps cause a couple of fish to come down with swim bladder problems, so be it. I do not want such fish for future breeding stock. No feeding at all of course at these low temps coupled with very minimal water changes. I usually do not feed at all when water temps dip to 50F. The digestive system basically almost shuts down at these temps. The most difficult time for me is the spring. Here we can have a dramatic increase in water temperature, fish are extremely susceptible to disease during that time. Good husbandry, especially water quality, is essential during the spring which I accomplish mostly with frequent water changes. Hope this helps.
    Dave

shakaho likes this.
  3. orangecrush

orangecrush Well-Known Member

Thank you Dave, I think this is good information for all keepers who winter their Goldfish outdoors.

Good luck and happy fishkeeping, Jim.

4. calicomj

calicomj Well-Known Member

I don't have veils but agree with nolaveils. Temps here stay near or below 40. I've recently had two that displayed swim bladder problems. These are the weaker ones. They recover when warmed up but it's a pain to move them and I can see why breeders would expend these.