Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Wooden Air Stones!

Discussion in 'Goldfish Gear' started by thePhysicist, Dec 8, 2015.

Tags:
  1. thePhysicist

thePhysicist Well-Known Member

Hello!

So I heard that wooden air stones are great for making a lot of really fine bubbles. I think I would also enjoy a more natural looking air stone in my tank, versus the black one I currently have.

Does anyone have experience with these guys? I would love some pros and cons.

Thank you!

PS: If anyone knows where to get large square sponge filters, that would also be very helpful.

2. High Ranchu

High Ranchu Professional Breeder

3. thePhysicist

Interesting, thank you! I do have to say though, that my current airstone also gets covered with algae, but I clean it off every time I do a waterchange.
    The sweetwater airstone, does it sink buy itself? I'd also love to have an airstone I don't have to worry about suctioning down to the bottom/side of tank with a suction cup.

ಠ_ರೃ thePhysicist

4. High Ranchu

High Ranchu Professional Breeder

sweet water is heavy and weights itself down, no need for suction cups. I never clean my air stones and let the algae grow along with nitrifying bacteria.

5. chocky

chocky Well-Known Member

Yup i ordered about 20x of the cube ones
    they're awesome.

6. thePhysicist

Thank you guys! I will definitely be ordering some sweetwater airstones then. I am officially sick of suction cups gaha

ಠ_ರೃ thePhysicist

7. WaterToad

WaterToad Active Member

Hydro stores also sell weighted air stones. They also sell air pumps. lots of shapes and sizes. Most also sell high end piston pumps also.

8. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

As many said, the ceramic airstones sold by Pentair are some of the best for aquariums and small-medium ponds. They are less prone to clog. It is really a compromise. If you want finer bubbles, then it will clog faster. The cheap ones sold in fish stores are not good. They have too much back pressure (try to blow it to see why). There are some other good but cheaper airstones than the Pentair ones. You kind of need to know which ones they are. There are many on ebay or Amazon. Usually they carry a "long lasting" phrase in the name. These are excellent. I have many in use for many many years. Occasionally I will soak them in bleach/muriatic acid, depending on how bad they are.

RE your other question about large sponge filters. The most economic ones are either the Hydro Pro IV or V or even the double stack pond ones, or the XY-380. You can buy the former from Kensfish and the later from Amazon. Or get some of these replacement sponges and make your own. I have used pretty much all type of sponge filters and they all have some pros and cons so DIY is the best.

I like your username because that is what I do for a living, may be on the other side of the room. :)

P.S. Sorry I did not see you want square sponge filters. The ones I posted are round. For square, try anglesplus or swisstropicals. Or get some large AquaClear sponges and make your own. All sponge filters work but the air injection system, riser tube length, etc will affect their water moving/lifting efficiencies.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015