Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Words getting auto-changed?

Discussion in 'Comments, Complaints or Suggestions' started by CaliGold, Dec 10, 2015.

1. CaliGold

CaliGold Well-Known Member

Hi,

I don't know if this is a function within the thread-posting process or something, but every time I type "wally-world" in one of my posts/replies/comments/etc. once the post goes through it shows up as "wally-world". I had no idea what that even meant the first time I saw it (I have never heard wally-world referred to as "wally-world" before) and I was wondering if there's a way for me to stop the posts from changing that automatically. My main issue is that people (like myself) might not initially realize what the poster/commentor meant. I had to do a google search (lol).

Thanks in advance!
    CaliGold

PS: if it's a copy-right thing, no worries, I was just wondering if there was a setting I accidentally set off or something.

2. CaliGold

Also, OF COURSE it would autocorrect it in this post as well... anyways, hope it still makes sense!

3. small_ranchu

small_ranchu Admin Staff Member

There is a story of the big store suing forum for bashing them. We don't want have time to go through that BS thus we change it.

CC11 likes this.
  4. CaliGold

Hahaha, now I get it. Alright then, like I said, no big deal. Really I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a user error on my part :)

Thanks!

5. mjfromga

mjfromga Well-Known Member

Everyone here calls it wally-world anyway. Nobody likes going in there, but in our tax bracket, hardly has a choice.

6. orangecrush

orangecrush Well-Known Member

I don't call it Wally .World, I call it "Wal" Mart. I'm sorry I get annoyed with the term Wally World. Don't know why.

7. CaliGold

The reason it gets changed on this forum is to avoid any potential law-suits, as small_ranchu pointed out above. That's why I started this thread originally, because I was confused as to why the word was getting automatically changed. However, seeing the forum's reasoning behind this, I am perfectly happy to have it automatically changed, and I understand what is meant by "wally world" when it pops up here now. Please just understand that that's what "wally world" means, and it's done to avoid any legal trouble in the forum (in case people are bashing the brand, as sometimes happens). Thanks!

8. orangecrush

orangecrush Well-Known Member

I understand, but the term wallyworld erks me, I don't know why. Don't worry,I won't be bashing anybody, in fact thats why I changed my avatar to the flag was possible copyright issues

9. CaliGold

You get used to it with time :)

10. Fishheadz

Fishheadz Well-Known Member

I'm an "Okie", (that means I'm from Oklahoma) "Wally-World" is normal language to me. I honestly despise that place, primarily because I go there for 1 thing, like a loaf of bread, $75 , and 4 bags later I emerge. However, since I have one literally in my backyard, I shop there more than I'd like.

11. Ununique

Ununique Well-Known Member

I doubt that, its just fear and intimidation. They have lawyers on staff so they has to do something with their time, sending out letters doesn't amount to a hill of beans when you have no liability.

Is there an actual link to a story you are referring to?

However, it doesn't bother me that its replaced, I thought it was something to not advertise than something steeped in fear of lawsuit.

12. small_ranchu

small_ranchu Admin Staff Member

It's an old story and I couldn't find the link anymore. This is also something that I learn when I joined forum admin circle 8 years ago.

CaliGold likes this.