Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Wuhsup GOLDFISH PEEPS

Discussion in 'New Members' Area' started by GoldGuy, Jan 6, 2016.

1. GoldGuy

GoldGuy Active Member

Wuhsup I've had goldfish from about 6 months ago to right now and being new and all I've lost a couple along the way. One got Eaton by a bigger goldfish and that same one just jumped out a couple weeks ago. And now I'm down to one gold fish. The reason why I joined was that I just got 55 gallon aquarium. I was just so wantING of infO that I wanted to join a forum. Other info I've a koi fish, two crayfish and a couple of minows from my creek in that 55 gallon aquarium.

2. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Welcome, that goldfish that ate your smaller one most be very large. If you have a koi in your 55 gallon than your tank is already stocked to capacity because koi grow very large and are not really mean't for a fish tank but for a pond. If your lost some fish along the way and have that koi, cray fish, and minnows may the result of disease, predation (crayfish will go after smaller fish) or the koi being too aggressive with your goldfish. Do you monitor your water conditions and test for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and ph

CaliGold likes this.
  3. GoldGuy

GoldGuy Active Member

Yes I know I am going to put him into a pond this spring

4. GoldGuy

GoldGuy Active Member

And I just got the crayfish so it wasn't them and the koi is a gentle giant. The minnows have been in there as long as the goldfish has and they are just fine but I will be more careful next time I put some creek fish in there and can you tell me info on checking pH nitrates etc.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  5. Fishheadz

Fishheadz Well-Known Member

The reason most fish jump out of water, is due to toxicity. You might want to jump out of our water(forum) as it can sometimes be overlooked and become toxic, bottom line,
    ...GO AWAY, TROLL !

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  6. GoldGuy

GoldGuy Active Member

Hey I ain't no troll! I came to this forum to learn how to take care of fish tanks

7. GoldGuy

GoldGuy Active Member

Anybody else got any advise

8. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Purchase a testing kit called API. Buy the complete kit, it is a bit pricey but well worth it. Follow the instructions per testing solution. It comes with color coded graphs so you will know how well or poor your water is . At the very least you should be changing 80% of your water weekly and using Prime (remove chlorine and prepare your water) prior to adding new water. It would help if you tell us about the type of filter you use, food you give. take a picture of your set up.

CaliGold likes this.
  9. GoldGuy

GoldGuy Active Member

i use a hang on back filter, i feed them goldfish flakes, i do use declorinator. I also heard that if my fish are healthy then they are fine and dont need that stuff. is this true?

10. Fishheadz

My apologies, we seem to be having issues with such as of late.
    Lets see some pics of your setup, how big is it? How many fish do you have? What's your routine? What are your water parameters?

11. Fishheadz

No, that is not true.

12. GoldGuy

GoldGuy Active Member

i cant take a picture right now, but i have a 55 gallon and i have a goldfish 3 minnows 2 crayfish and a koi fish and dont say he is in a to small of a tank. i know he is going into a pond in the spring

Fishheadz likes this.
  13. CaliGold

CaliGold Well-Known Member

Hey Goldguy :)

Just having a filter, feeding them, and adding dechlorinator to their water doesn't necessarily mean your goldfish are healthy. After all, one jumped out of the tank (and reasons for that are typically poor water quality). It's like putting a dog in a doghouse in the backyard with a bowl of food and a nice fence to make sure he doesn't run away. The dog may live in those conditions, but it isn't a great quality of life. With fish, there are a number of harmful toxins that can build up in the tank and end up really hurting or killing your goldfish if not kept under watch. Hence we use API test kits to check the water parameters for our goldfish. Check out some of the articles in the tabs at the top of this forum for some great tips on what it takes to really have healthy goldfish, too. :)

orangecrush and joe like this.
  14. GoldGuy

GoldGuy Active Member

that was before i did some research and got a bigger tank. I used to have them in a 10 gallon. and i started doing more water changes

15. GoldGuy

GoldGuy Active Member

thank you for replying so fast

16. GoldenMcNewbie

GoldenMcNewbie Well-Known Member

You need a 250 gallon pond for the koi alone buddy, and the crayfish will nip at the fins of the fish. We had a problem with a troll from Ohio, so yeah..

17. GoldGuy

GoldGuy Active Member

i already said the koi is going into a pond in the spring! and the crayfish are to slow to catch the fish

18. CaliGold

CaliGold Well-Known Member

We get that you're moving the koi to a pond in the spring, I think some folks just want to stress that the pond will be sufficiently large for the koi as well, especially if you plan on adding more.

My point of concern would really be the stocking of the 55 gallon tank. You said you have 1 goldfish (I'm guessing it's the single-tail in your avatar?), 2 crayfish, and 3 minnows all together? Aside from the crayfish and goldfish potentially not getting along (I know you said the crayfish are slow, but goldfish sometimes pick fights), when the goldfish grows big enough he may see those minnows as a yummy snack. A single-tailed goldfish can grow to about a foot long, and definitely has the capacity to eat small fish (like minnows). I would keep the goldfish separate from the others, to be honest, it would just be less potential trouble down the road.

Also, make sure you move all the old filter media, etc., to the new 55 gallon tank, if you haven't already done that. That way the tank will get cycled more quickly, which is very helpful in reducing the risks of a serious ammonia or nitrite spike. I agree with @joe, the API test kit is still a must for the bigger aquarium, along with large (75-90%), frequent water changes at least until you can test your water for toxins and such. What type of filter are you currently running, by the way? I know it's a hang on back, but it might help for us to know the brand and size, so we can help you with any modifications you might want to make to your set-up. :)

19. GoldGuy

GoldGuy Active Member

its an aqua tech 30-60 and i did do the thing with the filter media and let it cycle

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  20. GoldenMcNewbie

GoldenMcNewbie Well-Known Member

That filter won't be able to handle the bio load of all of them, you'll either have to buy more filters, or change 50% of the water everyday.