Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

zero ammonia but high nitrites???? why?

Discussion in 'Advance Water Quality' started by asclark1, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Fishheadz

Fishheadz Well-Known Member

Sea salt is obtained directly through the evaporation of seawater. It is usually not processed, or undergoes minimal processing, and therefore retains trace levels of minerals like magnesium, potassium, calcium and other nutrients.

Table salt, on the other hand, is mined from salt deposits and then processed to give it a fine texture so it’s easier to mix and use in recipes. Processing strips table salt of many of the minerals it may have contained, and additives are also usually added to prevent clumping or caking.

These are the differences in the manufacturing of the two.

2. *Ci*

*Ci* Goldie Guru

Yes, and there is nothing in table salt that will harm the fish and it will protect against nitrite poisoning which is the goal of th OP. What's your point?
    Telling him/her to remove fish, rinse the whole tank and substrate and clean the filters is unnecessary fear mongering, IMO.

3. Fishheadz

Fishheadz Well-Known Member

Not at all, it's always best to err on the side of caution. In my 25 years of fishkeeping, I've always been of the understanding that it was no good. If it works for you, kool.

4. chocky

chocky Well-Known Member

From what I understand

Table salt is not ideal but it won't kill your fish. =_=

I also agree that rinsing everything out is not necessary and just making the cycle process longer.

5. Ichthius

Ichthius Professional Breeder

Table salt is made from both mined or evaporated solar salt. The mined salt was once sea water as well. The purity comes from controlled evaporation purification, different salts precipitate at different stages.

Simply evaporating sea water will give 99% NaCl and both mined salt and solar salt are further processed further. It is pure NaCl with negligible trace salts. The animal feed grade I use is 99.5% and the impurities are usually inert/unsolvable minerals not the minerals found in sea water.

From cargill:
    Evaporated salt ranges from 99.7 to 99.99% pure sodium chloride. Solar salt is typically 99.6 to 99.8% sodium chloride. Rock salt used for water conditioning may run from 95 to more than 98.5% sodium chloride, depending on the source.

6. asclark1

asclark1 Active Member

well i dont have any substrate its bare bottom and i did not clean my filter