PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!!!!! Stuck goldie!

Lionhead88
03-18-2010, 05:03 PM
one of my telescopes got stuck in an ornament, and i had to help him out. i have completely removed the ornament now. and the goldfish is in a hospital tank, with some sera omnipur, and a air stone. no filter, thats what the meds call for.

his scales are all frayed and gone the wrong way, and he has red streaks on his fins, and his eye are a little red. the poor guy looks terrible. hes one of my favorites, and i need help.

what else should i do? he is swimming around, but hes scratched himself all up. :(

his name is Frosty, and hes amazing. i dont know what else to do...so ANY help would be appreciated.

-distraught,
Amanda

suphi
03-18-2010, 06:57 PM
Post some pics?

I'd just observe for now while providing fresh clean water. There's risk of bacterial infection with open wound so antibiotic powder or food is an option if you worry about that.

Lionhead88
03-18-2010, 07:08 PM
i have the fish moved into a smaller hospital tank by itself. there is an airstone for aeration and to keep the water moving.
i have the sera omnipur in as a blanket treatment...i think that he even started to bleed :( theres red spots/streaks and swollen area near where the scales got turned backwards. ill try to post some pics, but they might not be good. he likes to pose for the camera...and not show his sides....ill post some pics later on tonight when my battery is charged.
thanks

George Ludrosky
03-19-2010, 12:35 AM
I have quite a few telescopes and they seem to be a pretty strong fish. I've had one of my favorites lose both eyes to a similar situation and he healed up very quickly. He's blind but eats and is healthy and seems pretty happy.

Keep us updated.

flaringshutter
03-19-2010, 07:14 PM
Lionhead, I would definitely NOT use any meds. As long as you don't see any deep wounds into the muscle, just scale and skin damage, he just needs very clean water and perhaps some salt in the tank. The meds you are using are way, way stronger than is necessary. Hospital tank, good idea, but no meds.
Lesson learned: NEVER use hollow ornaments in a goldfish tank. Even if the holes look too small, the fish will find a way inside. Best of luck to you and your fish.

Lionhead88
03-20-2010, 03:47 PM
i kept him in the ISO tank for 2 days, doing 50% water changes once a day. last night i moved him back into the 20gal, and hes looking good! the swelling went down a bit on the worse part (his scales turning the wrong way) and the redness has gone away a little. im still watching him very closely, and he is eating fine, swimming fine, and socializing.
ive removed the ornament that he got stuck in completely. im going to replace it with one of those ceramic planters. they need something to hide in...

thanks for all the help guys!
ill keep you updated!

-Amanda & Frosty

pearlscale_fan
03-23-2010, 04:07 AM
my goldfish got stuck a couple of times, but she never panicked and tried to get herself out, she would just sit there until one of the humans came in and rescued her
once she was stuck upside down in the airstone bubble stream between the tank wall and the heater for about 3 hours, we thought she might be dead, but when we pulled her out of the corner she just flipped herself over and started looking for food
i guess they're tougher than we think