Go Back   Site for Goldfish Keepers > Basic Information > Goldfish Conversation

Notices

Old 12-09-2011, 02:35 AM   #1
lienng
goldfish fanatic

Group: Keeper
Water Type: Municipal Water
Owned Goldfish Since: 1965
Default How to keep humidity low in the fish room during winter time ?

Any one can give me suggestions or know-hows to keep the humidity low in the non-heated fish room/shed during winter time ? I think the high humidity is causing water condensation on the windows and growing mildew in my fish room.... I'm looking for a cheap solution such that I do not have to buy >$100 dehumidifier ... Thanks.
lienng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:41 AM   #2
Cincy Ranchu
Professional Breeder

Group: Breeder
Owned Goldfish Since: 1980
Thanked 1,176 Times in 807 Posts
Default tough question

This is always an issue. A dehumidifier is the right solution, in my fish room I have an air to air dehumidifying heat exchanger. I might suggest that you start withpieces of lexan that cover the area of the tanks/tubs in which the bubbles break the surface
Cincy Ranchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks Cincy Ranchu
lienng (12-09-2011)
Old 12-09-2011, 02:39 PM   #3
Virginia ranchu
Professional Breeder

Owned Goldfish Since: 2000

If you heat the room itself, instead of the aquariums, you will not get condensation. Betta breeders do this often because of the number of small jars that they must keep heated. I have one of the electric oil filled radiator heaters that I use to heat my bedroom, and it works great, is silent, and relatively energy efficient.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Honeywell-...Heater/2403497

Cheers,

Rob
Virginia ranchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks Virginia ranchu
lienng (12-09-2011)
Old 12-09-2011, 05:25 PM   #4
GlassGoldfish
ranchu is art

Water Type: Well Water
Owned Goldfish Since: 2004

The first thing I would try is an exhaust fan, like a bathroom fan. If you can pull the moist air out, that will help.
GlassGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:06 PM   #5
kendal
Top-View Human

Group: Breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lienng View Post
Any one can give me suggestions or know-hows to keep the humidity low in the non-heated fish room/shed during winter time ? I think the high humidity is causing water condensation on the windows and growing mildew in my fish room.... I'm looking for a cheap solution such that I do not have to buy >$100 dehumidifier ... Thanks.
simple solution is move to Utah. altitude+winter+furnace= humidity in the house is <20%. woke up with a bloody nose yesterday even with the humidifier running all night.

i wish my tubs would put off more humidity.

but this is not about my problems. can you suck the air from your fish room to your furnace (assuming you have gas vs electric heat) as the main cold air return? this will give you the exchange and the dehumidifying in one.
kendal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:16 PM   #6
lienng
goldfish fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia ranchu View Post
If you heat the room itself, instead of the aquariums, you will not get condensation. Betta breeders do this often because of the number of small jars that they must keep heated. I have one of the electric oil filled radiator heaters that I use to heat my bedroom, and it works great, is silent, and relatively energy efficient.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Honeywell-...Heater/2403497

Cheers,

Rob
I will evaluate Rob's option and Gary's option of using the lexan cover and determine which one costs less...
Trying to suck the air out will introduce the cold air in which may cause water temp to drop since I do not have the built-in exhaust and must open the windows instead.
Can not move to Utah since I can not afford quitting wife and job at the same time ...and marry the goldfish ...

Thanks. Neil

Last edited by lienng; 12-09-2011 at 10:31 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:48 PM   #7
CStufft
Professional Breeder

Owned Goldfish Since: 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by lienng View Post
I will evaluate Rob's option and Gary's option of using the lexan cover and determine which one costs less...
Trying to suck the air out will introduce the cold air in which may cause water temp to drop since I do not have the built-in exhaust and must open the windows instead.
Can not move to Utah since I can not afford quitting wife and job at the same time ...and marry the goldfish ...

Thanks. Neil
If looks are not important you can use sheet plastic as a cover. I believe the Bruce P uses window shrink wrap attached to PVC frames over larger ponds.

Chris
CStufft is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks CStufft
lienng (12-10-2011)
Old 12-10-2011, 02:04 PM   #8
lienng
goldfish fanatic

Based on all the above experts' inputs, I plan to use them all for my fish room humidity elimination project, here what I will do:
1. Use a small fan to suck out the humidity as suggested. Since I do not have the built-in exhaust, I will raise up the window to accommodate the fan and cover the rest to prevent/minimize the unwanted cold air in using the avail. styrofoam sheet.
2. Cover the tubs with Lexan(plexi-glass) or maybe the clear nylon with frame. This will minimize the expose water surface from the ambient, thus reduce water vapor get into the room.
3. Use a small heater to keep the room temperature above or at the desirable temp. By doing this, I also be able to turn off all the tub water heaters to minimize water evaporation. This also help saving some electricity to compensate for the room heater.

Since the Houston low temperature in the winter fluctuates from 32F - 50F during the night to morning, I think I can keep the fish room temp to 50 -65F with low humidity with my well insulated fish room... I hope.
Thanks everyone for sharing the ideas, tips... Neil